Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ati software problems maybe hardware too?  (Read 15409 times)

bfwe1atnet

Topic Starter

Starter

Ati software problems maybe hardware too?
    « on: July 15, 2010, 03:01:02 PM »
    Hi fellow builders.I have a Biostar p4m800-m7a version 7.0 using 3.2Ghz Celeron Proc. ,1Gig Memory, 3 IDE drives equaling out to 1.5 Tb of usable storage, an LG super multi dvd writer/reader n upgrading to add Blu Ray soon, with Ati HDTV wonder and just upgraded AGP to ASUS AH3450 which has 512Mb memory,a 450watt power supply.Running Winxp SP3.My help question is after trying to install from a older 256Mb Ati AGP to this one I had some difficulty loading the drivers after uninstalling old card drivers & softwares I decided to try uninstalling everything ATI but to my dismay it screwed up my use or future use of the HDTV wonder card!I even tried deleting all references to the card & HDTV Multimedia references from registry and uninstalling the card & then trying to reinstall from scratch but it doesn't work!I can use the card with other software from vendors like Blaze (which for some reason not sure why brightness while watching repeatedly dims to almost black) also I have been using easy hdtv dvr software which works ok but no use of my analog portion of the card with this other software.Anyone know a way to completely remove any & all software from ATI that I can't seem to find doing a registry search so I can regain use of the HDTV card again?(BTW the AGP works perfectly fine).Any help from my fellow geek rig builders would be much appreciated!Thanx in advance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ati software problems maybe hardware too?
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
    This old Geek believes in Backups and and a place to keep all install CDs and even spare HDDs in case of a panic attack. With the  the large capacity of modem drives, you can easily have two Operating Systems on a drive.

At where you are now, I would start a new install on a new partition.

One of the good free partition tools is EASEUS. Works even with Windows 7.

EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition

Re size teh single partition. Create a new one. A 10 gb  is enough. Instal a second copy of Windows. Easier that trying to unrwarp  the registry. :o

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:52:16 PM »
    the large capacity of modem drives

I hear they are almost at 3 TeraBaud!  ;D
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
    I hear they are almost at 3 TeraBaud!  ;D
    We was hit by a bit of a slip of the lip.

bfwe1atnet

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 03:26:05 AM »
      Already thought of that as I did backup my drive 6 months ago onto another hard disk.The thing about that is going from my old backup to trying to regain my newer downloaded programs would or might b just the same amount of work as filtering through registry.My thought was maybe I could get a registry copy from that drive but I'm not sure how 2 do that without booting to that drive.(booting that drive would not recognize the new AGP card & a similar problem would arise.

bfwe1atnet

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 01:10:48 PM »
        Well even though probably no one is watching this thread I did get a copy of the old registry from backup.Add to my problems now is that though the registry did accept hkey current user ATI keys it refuses to accept hkey local machine ATI keys n until I can get past that hurdle I'm stuck & might have to opt at buying some software that works for recording  TV but doing a format transfer to mpeg-2 or whatever else would again cost me 2 do that.Although I have another computer that I use in emergencies E-machine 2 gig AMD piece of krap it cannot support the ATI Wonder.

bfwe1atnet

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:10:15 PM »
          Well it seems that either users here are unfamiliar with ATI soft/hardware & thus no one can help.I wouldn't want to say what could be really the truth here but I leave that to Your imagination.BTW I partially solved the problem by using free Soft watch hdtv program so I can get recordings from my card, but as far as doing anything from my satellite into my S-Video input that I have yet to solve.Thanks folks who seem most eager to help here.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:35:45 PM »
          you might have received more replies had you posted in the proper forum.

EDIT: I mean the hardware section, not the SBCC group forum, where it is now.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:32:31 PM »
          For what it is worth, here is the general purpose way of doing Video card problems.
          1. Read the instructions. Unless you are a video graphics engineer, the maker of then card knows more than  do.
          2. If in doubt, do NOT install the card. First start with a very plain VGA card.
          3. If you installed ANY specific drivers for ANY kind of video cards, remove then and their utilities.
          4. Once you have a plain-Jane VGA card running generic drivers you can proceed.

Depending on the card, you may be told to install the CD programs before you install the new super duper card of you choice.

On a home built computer you sometimes can not start with a super-duper card, you have to start with a older VGA. Read the documentation.

The proper utilities for the card will do the registry stuff for you.

This general approach is valid for all current ATI cards in the consumer market.
          But you can see for yourself...
          Graphics - Desktop - AMD Support Search
          20870: Guide on how to install an ATI graphics card and / or its drivers ... This guide is meant to help you with removing an old video card and installing ...