Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adhoc gateway?  (Read 3567 times)

Macuiare

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Adhoc gateway?
    « on: August 01, 2010, 10:31:56 PM »
    Hey,

Im locally hosting a website on my laptop, pretty much a chat room page. When users connect I want them to go directly to that my website when trying to browse

Kind of like a gateway wireless page but on an adhoc network

Purpose is for school, my n card covers quite a lot of the school grounds and would be awesome to have some sort of chat room system going (:

Any help appreciated

Thank you

BradDet

Rookie

Re: Adhoc gateway?
      « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »
      Is your machine currently the gateway for internet connections?  If so, you just need to muck with the DNS a bit to make all DNS point to your site, and then reset DNS correctly afterwards

But if there is a different gateway machine, you're out of luck, you can't 'force people' to go to your site without exploiting security
      Brad Detchevery

Macuiare

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
        ah okay, I've setup a xxamp server to host it,

But im still confused with this dns tweaking part, I am the gateway and everything is hosting on this one pc.

What sort of tweaking would I need to do? Im a little confused

Regards

Macuiare

BradDet

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 04:01:42 AM »
          Well, Admittedly I've never played around with it myself, and the concept is likely easier then the execution.

when the gateway machine initially leases an IP Address to the client and sends a DNS server, that DNS Server must be initially configured to return the same IP Address to that client regardless of what DNS lookup is preformed.

So if the user initially connects open's their web browser and goes to www.google.ca your DNS server must send your IP Address of your apache box back.

You apache needs to be configured to return the same web page regardless of what domain name header is sent to apache.

Then your apache page needs a link/button, that when clicked, resets the DNS to proper lookup functionality for the client.

You could probably do this with a wildcard in your DNS entry that is added/removed as needed and I would imagine there is software out there that already does this. 

It would take some time playing around with, and it the end would probably be cheaper just to by a router that already does this for you
          Brad Detchevery

Macuiare

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:16:04 AM »
            yea, I figured it would require such D:

Thankyou for the help and information, I'm going to revive one of my sme virtual pc's and see if that will shed some light on the idea, back to researching.

Thanks again

Macuiare