Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Stuck at Windows Product Activation Screen.  (Read 5516 times)

William56

Topic Starter

Rookie

Stuck at Windows Product Activation Screen.
    « on: July 31, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
    I originally installed Windows XP Prof on this PC. Everything went well. Nothing indicating a glitch of any kind. I used this PC for about a week with out any problems. Today I have the folowing problem...
    1. PC boots up normally to windows welcome screen. I will normally click the icon [my    name] to continue.
    2. A Windows product activation dialogue grey box pops up. "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on". Do you wish to activate windows? Yes or no?
    3. I choose yes. This brings me to the desktop for a brief moment. Immediately there is a blue Windows activation dialogue box the fills the screen. "Windows is aleready activated-click OK to exit.
    4. Clicking exit immediately places me back at the welcome screen mentioned in 1. From here I just go in circles.

Does any one know how to correct this problem.? Just yesterday everything was working fine. Originally everything was authenticated properly. I am open to any and all suggestions. There is some important data on the hard drive I "would like" to recover" if possible. [/size]

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Stuck at Windows Product Activation Screen.
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
    1) Is the DVD an original, retail copy of Windows?
    2) Did you ever use this DVD to install Windows on another system?
    3) Did you activate Windows when it was first installed?
    4) Were there any other problems the last time the system booted normallY?

William56

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 08:46:26 AM »
      Thanks for responding to my question Allen.
      1. Yes the DVD is original retail copy of windows Xp.
      2. No, I have not used this CD to install windows in another PC.
      3. Yes, I full activated windows when it was first installed. I received a response.
      4. No, the next to last time I booted up I had no problems. The PC came up normally.

I am thinking of starting over at this point. I am not sure If I should stay with XP or move on to Windows 7. I do not know if one is really better than the other. Thanks.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:25:19 AM »
      Have you tried calling Windows #800 number to activate ? ?
      They're very friendly...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "