Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just reformatted PC, need basic help connecting to the internet again.  (Read 14795 times)

Sheeno

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Just reformatted PC, need basic help connecting to the internet again.
    « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
    There are no yellow exclamation marks, and the only network adapters are the two LAN ones that came with the CD of drivers and this 1394 one that's been here from the beginning. :( Any ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
    Let's try again. When you look under "network adapters" in device manager what do you see? And btw, I'll be logging off for the evening in a few minutes.

Sheeno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 04:42:14 PM »
      No, that's what I mean, under "network adapters" in the device manager, there are the three I just mentioned: the two LAN ones that came with the CD of drivers and this 1394 one that's been here from the beginning. I actually wasn't banging on about network connections again.  ;D So, if there is an internal adapter, it doesn't seem like my computer is recognising it... which is strange, as it did before. Someone else has just told me I should search for WLAN drivers - I'm guessing this isn't right, otherwise there would be a yellow exclamation mark somewhere in the device manager?

Thanks for all your help, by the way. It is greatly appreciated.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 06:25:39 AM »
      If your system has internal wifi capability and if you installed the chipset driver, then the wifi link should be visible in device manager under "network adapters".

Sheeno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 06:44:24 AM »
        I installed a chipset driver, one which came on an MSI CD. Perhaps it isn't the correct one?

Alternatively, my PC could not have internal wifi capabilities. But if that's the case, how did I manage to connect to the network with it before I reformatted?

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 06:55:10 AM »
        I don't know what else to tell you. Installing the chipset driver after formatting should enable all internal networking capabilities. If the laptop has internal wifi functionality then you should see it. Either I'm missing something (and that's certainly possible) or the laptop is not wifi capable.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 07:17:23 AM »
        Please post the laptop model that you post as wi-fi capable and is having connection problems.

Sheeno

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 07:56:22 AM »
          I don't remember saying it was a laptop? It's a PC, a desktop. It was custom-built by a technician, so it doesn't have a particular model. I can give you guys the information from dxdiag if you like?

Basically, before I reformatted the PC, I could access the wireless network. I didn't need to have anything in my USB socket, I just turned it on and it connected to the wireless network. The only piece of hardware needed is the modem router. Now, after reformatting and despite having installed the chipset driver, my computer still won't even recognise a wireless network. Going by what somebody else told me, I was thinking I maybe had to install a WLAN driver, but I just don't know which.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
          Contact the person who built the pc.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
          Ok then you need to open up your CPU(desktop) to be able to identify your add-on wi-fi card to be able to install correct driver if your not able or not sure what it is. The network card basically has some information pertaining to your issue. If you've check on device manager and it does'nt show, then you may need also to reconnect the card from its slot to see if it still working. Then check again on device manager if its being recognized.