Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: toshiba vista laptop being really stupid at 'applying final configuration'  (Read 14920 times)

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

whatever. i guess we'll just have to call toshiba then. they will probably charge us through the nose for this, though..

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    You need to run the test. And I'm deleting your other post.

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

how do i run the test?

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

i dont know how. enter doesnt do anything, there's nothing on the screen that says' run test', there's no mouse,  the arrow keys dont do anything. what do i do here?

Allan

• Mastermind
        I'm not sure if the diagnostic kicks in automatically or not. This may help: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

it didn't say anything about how to start the test. hm... maybe this means my ram IS broken.

Allan

• Mastermind
          Your ram isn't broken. When you boot to the disc you created does the test begin?

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

no, it doesn't begin. it says this:
            Memtest86 v4.10
            Intel Core 2 1729 MHz
            L1 cache: 32k 24353 mb/s
            l2 cache: 2048k 11301 mb/s
            l3 cache: none
            memory: 2038m 2222mb/s :---------------------------------------…
            chipset: intel i945gm/pm (ecc: disabled)- fsb : 133 Mhz- Type : DDR2
            settings: Ram: 221 Mhz(DDR443)/ CAS: 4-4-4-12/ Dual channel (Interleaved)

512k e820 off

Memory SPD Informations
            --------------------------------------…

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

you know what, ill just use the memory diagnostics that came with the toshiba recovery disc, since that one was MADE for this laptop.

Allan

• Mastermind
              Okay :)

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

okay, i started the windows memory diagnostics tool, its running test pass 1 of 2, but at the bottom it says:

Windows will restart the computer automatically. Test results will be displayed again after you log on.

See, that's the problem- I can't log on. As soon as I try, the stupid Applying Final Configuration pops up and blanks the screen out and then i have to manually turn the laptop off and back on, so i can't see the results.

killerb255

Adviser
                  • Experience: Expert
                  @bearsafruit:

You're making this harder than it needs to be.

When you see the blue Memtest 86 screen, you don't have to do anything!!!  It starts automatically!

Pay attention to the top of the Memtest 86 screen.  It goes through a series of tests, and once the slower bar gets to 100%, it's gone through a "pass."  If you see ANY red on the bottom of the screen, that means you have bad RAM.  After about two passes or so, if you don't see any red, then your RAM should be good.
                  Quote from: talontromper
                  Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

to killerb: too late, i already started the windows memory diagnostics tool. but when i tried using that memtest, there was no bar at the top that went through tests. like i said, it showed and only showed this:

no, it doesn't begin. it says this:
                    Memtest86 v4.10
                    Intel Core 2 1729 MHz
                    L1 cache: 32k 24353 mb/s
                    l2 cache: 2048k 11301 mb/s
                    l3 cache: none
                    memory: 2038m 2222mb/s :---------------------------------------…
                    chipset: intel i945gm/pm (ecc: disabled)- fsb : 133 Mhz- Type : DDR2
                    settings: Ram: 221 Mhz(DDR443)/ CAS: 4-4-4-12/ Dual channel (Interleaved)

512k e820 off

Memory SPD Informations
                    --------------------------------------…
                    i waited a few minutes, but it hadn't done anything, so i assumed it either didn't work on toshibas, or windows vista, or both. thanks for trying to help though.

bearsafruit

Topic Starter

Rookie

it's as i expected- the windows memory diagnostics tools finished, it rebooted vista, then showed the applying final config again and blanked out. i have no other option but to call toshiba.

killerb255

Adviser
                        • Experience: Expert
                        What Service Pack level is your Windows Vista Toshiba recovery disc at?  If it's less than Service Pack 2, then have Toshiba send you updated discs...
                        Quote from: talontromper
                        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.