Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: physical memory dump when starting win xp  (Read 3116 times)

jptb40

physical memory dump when starting win xp
« on: July 20, 2005, 07:23:14 PM »
i'm getting a physical memory dump when i start win xp.  i cannot get into windows after this happens.  is my memory bad?

Raptor

Re: physical memory dump when starting win xp
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 05:32:02 AM »
Windows Memory Diagnostic

Follow the instructions and test your RAM.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 08:28:11 PM »
JBTB:

A memory dump is the standard operating procedure for Windows when there is a system failure.  For example, the default setting in the Windows XP System Properties is to make a small memory dump (a file named minidump, which is created on the C: drive) when a system failure occurs.  You may then send the 64 KB file to a system administrator, programmer, or some other expert to interpret what is causing the failure.  

You or i probably won't be able to decipher the minidump file ourselves.   What we may be able to do is figure out what is causing the system failure by answering a few questions:

Are you installing Windows or was there already an operating system installed?

If you were installing Windows, what version were you installing? (was it Windows XP Home)?

If you were not installing Windows, what else may have been changed just prior to the error?  (For example, did you add a new video card?  or a new program?)

Please let us know so Merlin, Raptor, or i may know what to suggest next.  

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 08:30:04 PM by pcdoc4christ »

ITTechnician

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 10:36:46 AM »
first check and se if you can boot intoi safe mode.
If so you have a better chance to solve the problem