Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux as a popular Desktop Operating System?  (Read 21490 times)

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Linux as a popular Desktop Operating System?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
Knew I was missing something.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Been meaning to give Ubuntu Tweak a try. 

It just seems easier to not have to install anything, though.  Just open a terminal and type gconf-editor, find the right entry, and change it.  Takes me all of 7 seconds, if not less.

That's not the point, though.  The point is, as stated, the *need* for terminals in 'normal' desktop use is diminishing. 
Back In The Game

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 02:08:04 PM »
Knew I was missing something.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Been meaning to give Ubuntu Tweak a try. 

It just seems easier to not have to install anything, though.  Just open a terminal and type gconf-editor, find the right entry, and change it.  Takes me all of 7 seconds, if not less.

That's not the point, though.  The point is, as stated, the *need* for terminals in 'normal' desktop use is diminishing. 
It depends on how comfortable the user is with the Terminal. There are some task for which I use the the Terminal and others the GUI. For example if I wanted to install 10 programs it would be a lot easier to do
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install program1 program2 program3 program4 program5 program6 program7 program8 program9 program10 in Terminal. It would take a lot longer to do that task in Synaptic. There are definitely uses for the terminal.

Another example: I was helping someone with their Vista laptop. They had a folder on their computer that could not be deleted (Vista said they didn't have permission but he/she was an administrator)! On Ubuntu I would bring up terminal and run "gksudo nautilus", then I would just delete the file. Deleting it in Ubuntu is a lot easier.

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:47 PM »
I've done that as well.  For instance, right now I'm going through my Trash, shredding all the files, then deleting them permanently.  I find it much easier to do a 'shred -vn3 * && rm *' than to go through and do it all in Nautilus. 
Back In The Game

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Another example: I was helping someone with their Vista laptop. They had a folder on their computer that could not be deleted (Vista said they didn't have permission but he/she was an administrator)! On Ubuntu I would bring up terminal and run "gksudo nautilus", then I would just delete the file. Deleting it in Ubuntu is a lot easier.

Well, was the folder empty? Or perhaps you have the folder open or you have something contained in the folder still in use by the system? Most likely reasons for not having permission even though you are administrator.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 02:45:55 PM »
|E
running Explorer as an administrator is 6 keystrokes.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
Well, was the folder empty? Or perhaps you have the folder open or you have something contained in the folder still in use by the system? Most likely reasons for not having permission even though you are administrator.
no the folder had files in it. they weren't system files but the may have been for some program.

So yah that'd be why I had problems deleting. ;)

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »
running Explorer as an administrator is 6 keystrokes.
which strokes?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
windows key, c,m,d, application key, a, enter.

Actually it's 7, I forgot the last enter. Although if somebody has UAC disabled it would only be 6.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.