Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Disk  (Read 20025 times)

merlin_2

Re: Disk Utility locked MSN Scan Disk
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2005, 03:50:21 PM »
Easy as pie.......load the win98 msoft install disk.....chose the browse option from the menu.....you will then see a folder called add/ons.......click it.....now you will see the pws folder......click it.......scroll down the page till you come across a icon called setup.....if you clicked this icon it will re-installed win98 without file loss!
========================================
Or the other options all ready given were this at the msdos prompt
A:\SCANREG/FIX
A:\>SCANREG/RESTORE      now you have the control just do it...

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #46 on: July 25, 2005, 11:24:13 PM »
    Problem 1.
    disk utility has locked this drive

Problem 2.
    Found 1 error: c:\Windows\win386.SMP.

I am only dealing with Problem 1 at the moment.
    Clear?
    It seems that you have a program running that locks your drive.
    After opening Auto runs, hiding the signed Microsoft entries and then refreshing, you should be able to pick out the disk locking program either by it's name or by right clicking on each program & selecting Google or Properties.
    The end.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 10:46:54 AM »
      Raptor I can only agree with you as to all the messages. Here where  Replies are composed at least all four pages are displayed on the one page. But not at the Posting! That's better than copy/paste which is impractical. So to summarize:

Your last one, #44, to which this is Reply, has quote from me re vsmui & resvr32, neither of which I could handle as per that message.

My #43, 25JUL replies to your #30,23JUL.
      My #40, 25JUL replies to your #39,25JUL.
      My #33 & #15 ask about possible removal of the two Windows sys files that show "permission denied = error.

I feel this puts you to too much trouble and you have contributed more than anyone can reasonably expect.
      I'll make do with the work-around; please drop me -- IF and UNTIL I come up with another lulu!

Thank you once again.  Cordially,  RO
      RO

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2005, 10:50:34 AM »
        Thank you, FED.
        At "The End", credits are due, and I want to express my appreciation for your patience as well as your help.
        Cordially,   RO
        RO

Raptor

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »
        It would be best if you were to simply quote what you are responding to. That saves us a lot of scrolling back and forth as we have more posts to read than just yours. It may be easier for you, but the harder you make it for us, the less eager I am going to be to respond.

I can not find many articles relating to Windows 98 and virtual memory, here are a few noteworthy ones:

Win386.swp File Is Moved When You Set a Custom Virtual Memory Size
        -- This is how I found out that the damaged file is related to virtual memory

WWindows Is Unstable After Disabling Virtual Memory

Windows 95/98 and Windows NT 4.0 Can Share Virtual Memory

Here you may discover how to rebuild your virtual memory file.

Good luck, I can not find any more information in the Microsoft.com database. Perhaps a member who has got experience with Windows 98 virtual memory can assist you.

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2005, 01:58:16 PM »
          You are certainly right, Raptor, and excuse the extra effort I caused.

I have checked each of your references and have no excuse not to have done so before posting.

Truth to tell, I have no idea of VirtualMemory/Swapping/Corruption of Win386SWP.
          Presume problem caused inadvertently, but whether it was or not, it will remain among the multitude of computereze with which I am unfamiliar. In my own defence, these things can best be dealt with person-to-person. Here in a small French village, language aside, that is not possible.

Cordially,  RO
          RO

merlin_2

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2005, 02:15:06 PM »
          C drive. Found 1 error: c:\Windows\win386.SMP. rod

or is it this one!>http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000358.htm

roduke 41

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2005, 11:52:54 PM »
            Morning, Merlin_2:
            It's the "one error" message. Your Ref CH000358 covers the subject thoroughly, but I'm lost there, not having involved myself in anything to do with SWAP, etc. It is simply something that came up as an error -- however/wherever I know not.

Lost in the shuffle of messages is the one where I reported on vsmui. The box came up blank, i.e., no files listed. I also noted it said this was where updates or changed numbers, etc., appeared. To me that was not concerned with bad files.

Again thanks. Keep the faith!

Cordially,  RO
            RO

merlin_2

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2005, 09:45:34 PM »
            And the update so far rod is what!