Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: any reliable diagnostic program??  (Read 8719 times)

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

any reliable diagnostic program??
    « on: August 21, 2010, 02:09:14 AM »
    Since 98SE is so outdated and unsupported; what do people here use as a diagnostic program?
    Something reliable that won't mess up the OS?

E.g., back in '03 i was using Norton Windoctor and Diskdoctor (this was right before Symantec turned to the Dark side of the Force).

But now, after i've re-formatted and re-installed a bright, shiny copy of my (same) OS, those same programs i've been using for years -won't run, and tell me: "you're missing important system files to run this program, allow me to install these system files".
    Well no, i don't think so. It has never done that before; and i think it's really hinky it's doing so now. Same frelling disk and everything. Anyway, i've got nothing to check over the "health" of the system and look for possible problems/conflicts.
    And i have NO idea where to find 98OS software.

I would really like some help with this, i want to keep it running smoothly. I don't think i could live thru another re-install.

regards,
    Poet

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: any reliable diagnostic program??
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:26:45 AM »
    Win 98 SE was a great OS back in the day, but if you are planning on using this for Network/Internet use, I'd look towards using XP as a minimum OS these days. Windows XP can run on a computer as old as a Pentium II 233Mhz, 128MB Ram, and 6GB HD although runs far better of 256MB or greater and a faster CPU.

For software diagnostics for Win98 many of the companies that had diagnostics that supported Win98, no longer support it and Win XP may be a minimum requirement OS to run them.

I would perform a clean installation instead of a Repair Installation after first backing up important data to bring the system back to a clean state. Then if it starts to act up you are more likely fighting old hardware problems vs corruption.

One program I would suggest if you have a more modern computer available with a CD burner is to find out the make and model of your hard drive on the win98 system and then download the hard drive diagnostic and utility software for that drive. It can be burned to a CD and boot your system off of that CD, then run hard drive diagnostic son it to make sure your missing system files are not a hard drive on its way out. Seagate, Maxtor, and Western Digital all have this tool available at their websites.

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 04:33:26 AM »
      Aye i know it's not going to run anything current. I have loads of old programs and software (some that still use DOS) that aren't compatible with XP -and of course there's no more DOS.
      Just 'cause something's old doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. It's a nice set-up for my purposes, i just want to be able run diagnostic programs, keep it running smoothly.

regards,
      Poet

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 10:49:23 AM »
      frelling

What is this word?

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
        Watch "Farscape".

(Nobody has any experience with Spotmau on 98??)
        Poet

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 11:47:35 AM »
        Watch "Farscape".

Is that some kind of game?

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 03:34:05 AM »
        Also forgot to mention memtest86 bootable CD is great for testing Ram and performance stats of systems. Your older system should be able to run it with no problems. You will need to burn the CD from iso image, then boot your win98 system off of the CD

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 09:16:19 AM »
        Is that some kind of game?

Nope, had to google it myself. Turns out "Frelling" Is used in the show instead of the "other" f-word.

They just copied Red Dwarf though, which has Smeg, Smegging, Smeghead, etc. And is far less recent.

(Nobody has any experience with Spotmau on 98??)

What is "spotmau"?
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:53 PM »
          Spotmau is a disk  multi-utility program.

And just because someone came up with a same or similar idea, does not ipso facto mean they "copied" someone else. But since you used Google you're obviously now a qualified expert on all things Farscape.

Poet

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »
          Spotmau is a disk  multi-utility program.
          Not sure what that means, but their sites appear to have less then stellar WOT ratings, so I'd stay away from them myself.

And just because someone came up with a same or similar idea, does not ipso facto mean they "copied" someone else.
          Considering the cultural penetration of Red Dwarf, especially throughout the UK, It's hard to believe the idea was arrived at independently. Not that it's a bad thing to use good ideas from other stuff. (lot's of Science fiction shows use ideas/concepts from other shows). It was more a tongue in cheek observation then a accusation.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »
            Okay. Sorry about that. Farscape is near and dear to my heart. It's 'fan base' is large, active and persistent; when the show met an untimely demise, people kept up a steady campaign not to be left in mid-storyline. Which was vindicated with The Peacekeeper Wars.
            More about Farscape than you possibly wanted to know; point being: it's a very dedicated group.

Poet

49 M

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
              Don't know about se, but 98 1st edition you can check for conflict's under system information. You might try looking around oldversion.com for software.

poetdowns

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »
                Thank you. I will certainly check that out.   ;D

regards,
                Poet