Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is There a reasonable priced data recovery company  (Read 5941 times)

shajoe44

Is There a reasonable priced data recovery company
« on: July 27, 2005, 08:13:53 PM »
My hard drive has crashed and my local computer store was unable to recover any of my files. I was wondering if there is a reasonably priced data recovery company that can recover lost files that the local computer stores might not be able to recover.

Thanks

merlin_2

uisquebeathus

Re: Is There a reasonable priced data recovery com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 06:20:35 AM »
re Merlin
do not do anything with the faulty hard drive, PCinspecter is free download it into a differant pc  and then connect the drive. if it is still mechanically working pc inspecter will find and recover almost anything,  copy onto an empty drive or partition, it has the same problems as any other recovery software has in rescueing compressed files like Mpeg and Mp3 and encoded stuff.

yourfateissealed

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 07:05:58 AM »
How did your hard drive crash?  What happened?  I think that might determine if your data can be recovered.  I wouldn't worry about paying $$$ about getting music files back...especially if they are from p2p

shajoe44

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 05:21:39 PM »
I had been using the computer, with no unusual sounds coming from the hard drive. I then went to watch TV and after a few minutes I turned around and noticed the Gateway Logo on my screen. I went to computer and it would not do anything. So I turned it off and back on and that's when I heard the hard drive making a clicking sound while booting up. I get the notice hard drive not found. I downloaded PCInspector and it does not find the bad drive. I have it in the computer as a slave drive since I went and bought another hard drive. It looks like it might be beyond repair. I was not worried about music files, just some pics and a few documents that I wanted back. Thanks

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 07:00:42 PM »
...I heard the hard drive making a clicking sound while booting up...

Classic symptom of dead hard drive.  Take it out and give a good smack with you hand.  Every now and then it will come on long enough for you to retrieve your data.  If not, nothing lost.

Data recovery is very expensive because they must open the hard drive, remove the platters and install them into another hard drive.  Then they retrieve whatever data they can and burn a CD.  I know someone who had this done and it cost $500USD.

shajoe44

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 07:12:57 PM »
Another thing I have noticed also, after trying to start computer with corrupt hard drive installed, the hard drive is very hot to the touch after only one start up. I have even been told to put in freezer for a few hours and then try it. I have tried everything.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 07:05:05 AM »
Another thing I have noticed also, after trying to start computer with corrupt hard drive installed, the hard drive is very hot to the touch after only one start up. I have even been told to put in freezer for a few hours and then try it. I have tried everything.

I have a PDF file that contains over 100 ways to get a broken down Hard Disk Drive to work. Send me your E-mail adress in a PM and I will send it over.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 02:20:56 PM »
This depends on the hard drive......i have stripped drives down......and loaded the platters as  mini-cd....in the drive the only problem....is finding a cdrive to run at the same speed as the hard drive!some of the data can be salvage......what was the make of the drive.....dont tell me maxtor.......Where are based?uk/*europe
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 02:28:02 PM by merlin_2 »

shajoe44

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 06:40:18 PM »
western digital   40gig

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 07:00:42 PM »
Another trick you wish to try......is this......place the hard drive in freezer.....for a couple of hours in a plastic bag......dry it properly....before installing it    some people have done this ???......... This is not recommended for people who unsure and are really desparate  unless you are not>>> my advise it dont disclaimer in progess   another trick would be to by an old wd 40gig case and transfer the platters across......These are suggestions........at the end of the time its up to person/s concerned  to do what they wish ! Its their pc and its their life......life worth more.....or just wackit......like cc has said......

shajoe44

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 07:51:29 PM »
I have tried the freezer thing with no luck. So you are saying find another 40 gig western digital and go from there? Is it difficult to change the platters out?

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 04:00:02 AM »
I have tried the freezer thing with no luck. So you are saying find another 40 gig western digital and go from there? Is it difficult to change the platters out?

Its not only difficult. It is impossible. The slighest bit of dust or dirt can cause the other Hard Disk Drive to fail just as easily.

If you are desperate to recover data, contact a professional. If you are into experimentation, read the PDF I have E-mailed you.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 03:26:40 PM »
..Is it difficult to change the platters out?

Can you say:  "Microsurgery" or "Watch Repair"?

If you have access to an operating room and have the skill of a surgeon...maybe.  Or if you know a watchmaker or jewler...maybe.  Yes, some watches are still repaired, i.e. Rolex.

Actually, the facilities hard drives are assembled in are cleaner than an operating room.  So, picture a watchmaker in an operating room.

shajoe44

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 07:11:27 PM »
I can feel it trying to spin, in between clicking noises, when I hold the hard drive in my hand while booting up.
I have tried the freezer trick as well as the lightly tapping trick. Looks like I have run out of ideas short of sending it off.