Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 26 Thermal Compounds tested - Saw this on my FB this morning  (Read 8152 times)

Ryuk

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: 26 Thermal Compounds tested - Saw this on my FB this morning
    « Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 07:14:38 AM »
    Interesting Test Results for Thermal Compounds.  I have always used Arctic Silver, but I guess there are better ones as the data at this site indicates. I use to use the cheapy white silicone thermal paste which I think is aluminum oxide as the cheap way out, but found out that this cheap white paste would dry up and become chalky and then the CPU temp would climb. I lost a Pentium III UT99 server due to the white stuff drying up 5 years ago, blistering the CPU socket 370 green wafer. I have yet to see arctic silver fail like the cheap white paste.

http://hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71658

I never heard of any more but, two the Artical Silver and the white kind.  Personally, I find after all most a year it turns into a dry glue like mess.  Personally, I like using the white cause, its easier to clean up an use though.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
    I read an article about thermal paste and realized I used way too much on my CPU.

I had to pry the heatsink off because it was stuck to the processor.

Applied a small amount of paste, and now my idle temperature is 23 Celsius.

From 45 with the cheap stuff, to 38 improperly applied, to 23. I am truly amazed.

Tip: Instead of covering your CPU with thermal paste, only apply a tiny amount to the center of the chip.

Ryuk

Adviser

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #17 on: April 12, 2013, 05:52:58 AM »
      I read an article about thermal paste and realized I used way too much on my CPU.

I had to pry the heatsink off because it was stuck to the processor.

Applied a small amount of paste, and now my idle temperature is 23 Celsius.

From 45 with the cheap stuff, to 38 improperly applied, to 23. I am truly amazed.

Tip: Instead of covering your CPU with thermal paste, only apply a tiny amount to the center of the chip.

You only need a drop the size of the cap at best.  Personally, if it works an known to work why change it.