Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Harddrive Data recovery  (Read 2739 times)

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Harddrive Data recovery
    « on: August 29, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
    Computer information
    Dell
    Dimension 3000
    Windows XP Home

Problem

Upon booting it attempt to load windows. It will display the Windons XP loco briefly and then go to a blue error screen. The error screen says that the harddrive is corrupted.  Run CHKDSK /F.........

I have attempted without success to Start in safe mode, last known configuration  normal and all other options. It will repeat the process and return to the blue screen.

MY question is..... They is a lot of data that the owner of compute would like to have recover  from old hard drive. I have heard of this being done. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this? I do have another IDE hard drive I can use the computer.....

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Harddrive Data recovery
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »
    Boot to your XP CD, choose the first repair option, enter the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
      Sorry.... I left out this information

The Hard drive was replace with a use Hard drive out of another computer...
      So I  was wondering.... if running the hard drive witha problem as a slave would work to recover the data?

Azzaboi

Apprentice
      • Aaron's Game Zone
        • Aaron's Game Zone
      « Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »
      Ignore the chkdsk... if the hard drive is damaged at a hardware level then it will do no good at repairs (except for covering up small holes), it can actually damage it more making it harder to recover. Using this is great if it's a software corruption, but if you are going to recover the data from a damaged disc, chkdsk will just make this harder or impossible.

Yes, you want to set the hard-drive as a slave or connect it from the computer via another like a laptop. The main hard-drive needs to have a valid working, clean, virus protected OS. Virus protection is a must!

You may need to get Hard Drive Recovery Software (there's a lot available but not normally quality ones for free) which slowly nibbles the data off the damaged HD discs. Some of the files recovered might be missing filenames, directory structures, etc and have to be pieced together manually.

This takes time depending on the amount of damage.

A lot of computer companies offer services to do this for you at a price which is probably less than the recovery software cost. High quality professional recovery software can cost up to $1000, depending on the amount of data to recover!
      Aaron's Game Zone
      The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
        Virus protection  is already loaded....I not sure if this problem came from a virus or not.... She (owner) has made some indications that she "thinks" it may have .... :P which reading through the lines I say hmmm yeah..... Just my opinion LOL

Anyway anyone have ant suggestions on the data recovery software. I 'm looking for the  free stuff. At this point She is aware that data recovery may not be possible....

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »
          Thanks for the help .... I got  a handle on it now.
           data recovery in progress