Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: aspnet login  (Read 12582 times)

farmgirl806

Topic Starter

Rookie

aspnet login
    « on: August 29, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
    I have a dual boot system with  windows 2000 booting first and if I go to safe mode I can choose windows ME.  My problem is when booting windows 2000 I am seeing a login box that says user name ASPNET and it asks for my password.  I have never set a password or never used or need to use aspnet.  I have tried just clicking enter.  I have tried administrator and owner.  Nothing works and I am not able to log in.  I am not able to get into safe mode for this operating system  - same login box.  Then I restart and click F8 and there I am able to choose to log into windows ME and that system loads fine.  But it is not the default to load so I have to jump through hoops to get there.  So my  question is  can I somehow use windows ME to fix the aspnet problem for windows 2000?  Or could I change the boot order?  Also if I use ME will all my personal documents and pictures that were on windows 2000 also be on windows ME?  I am just wanting to fix this.  Hope someone can help me.  Thanks so much!

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: aspnet login
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
    Another user account is created for the ASP. Net Worker Process (Aspnet_wp.exe) so that it is not running with administrator privileges. This helps to increase security because if there was a breach the worker process is running as a lowly restricted user rather than having administrator privileges on the local machine. The big complaint with there being another user account is that when it is created, it will prevent auto logon had there previously only been one user on the computer.

This information was found here: http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

It says it is for XP, but the information still seems relevent except for the part that tells you to download and run the registry file. That obviously won't work cause you can't log in.

If this doesn't work, then there is a password reset CD you can get that works really well. It's not Ophcrack. I have never had any success with that. I will look for the CD when I get home. I forget what it's called.
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

farmgirl806

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:00:26 PM »
      Thanks so much for your reply.  The password disk might be helpful though.  Thanks again

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 02:06:54 AM »
      Here is the site where you can get the disk:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Here is the direct link to the download:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/cd100627.zip

The zip file will contain an ISO image of the disk that you will need to burn. When you reboot with the CD, it should give you instructions on how to reset the password.
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

farmgirl806

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
        Thank you so much.  I got the download and it worked.  I don't know where the aspnet came from but not something I wanted.  Thanks again!   ;D

colcwby

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »
          I have tried the boot CD and tried to remove the password for ASPNET and it still will not let me past the logon screen cannot access system even in safe mode.....and help would be appreciated....

colcwby

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »
            I am running XP SP3

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 07:18:36 PM »
            Why are you tagging on to an existing Topic ? ?
            Start a new one and state fully what your issues are....
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "