Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: One user cannot access internet but all other can.  (Read 34723 times)

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

One user cannot access internet but all other can.
    « on: August 31, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
    Ok got a fun problem that I might be over looking something simple hope you guys can help. I have a net work set up for 40 people the server is Server 2003 and the terminal is running xp pro the user cannot get on the internet but can still connect fine with my mail server that is running the same software.  but all other uses that log into that terminal can access both.  help...

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: One user cannot access internet but all other can.
      « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:28:37 AM »
      oh yeah wanted to tell you nothing has been changed on the server and the user's internet was work 2 weeks ago. 

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
      Check for malware on server and client?
      If a user's machine is having trouble with connectivity it's usually because of the user.
      Check for any unauthorized programs and services running or installed.

Also, more specs may be helpful. Give us a general description of your network, ie. common installed software, hardware, special settings, etc.
      Network specs, too..... firewall, routers, switches, etc.

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
        Check for malware on server and client?
        If a user's machine is having trouble with connectivity it's usually because of the user.
        Check for any unauthorized programs and services running or installed.

Also, more specs may be helpful. Give us a general description of your network, ie. common installed software, hardware, special settings, etc.
        Network specs, too..... firewall, routers, switches, etc.
        no malware on either server or client. the machine is fine when other users on logged into it. found no unauthorized programs on the computer.  the only thing on there is what comes installed on Win xp pro and Office 2007 is on there as well.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
        when that user logs on to other machines, does it give you the same problem? (Are you in an Active Directory Domain?)

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
          yes I am in a Active Directory domain and i was told that she is still unable to get on the internet when she logs on to another computer. I will double check that to make sure tho.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »
          log in to her machine with an administrator account and try deleting her local profile (after backing up any saved files) and then have her log back in. There could be some corruption in her docs and settings folder.

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 04:48:35 AM »
            ok I logged on to her computer and everything worked fine. logged her on to another computer and her internet worked great. ok so I'm going to back up her local user profile.  If i delete her from the computer will it remove the programs that might have been installed by her?

michaewlewis

Intermediate
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:11:19 AM »
            Go to C:\Documents and Settings (Windows XP) or C:\Users (Vista & Win7), and rename her user folder. Shouldn't actually have to delete it unless you want to.
            It won't remove any programs you have installed. Those should all be stored in your program files directory.

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »
              Go to C:\Documents and Settings (Windows XP) or C:\Users (Vista & Win7), and rename her user folder. Shouldn't actually have to delete it unless you want to.
              It won't remove any programs you have installed. Those should all be stored in your program files directory.

ok big problem I can rename move any other local profile but the one i need to. i have logged on as the domain admin and the local admin and can not rename or do anything to that profile. no matter what user is logged on the computer still uses troubled accounts NTUSER.dat text file and NTUSER data file. any clues why?  the error i get is file is in use close file and try again.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 04:43:15 PM »
              What is the name of the folder you're trying to delete? Can you show me the directory contents of C:\Documents and Settings\ or C:\Users\ (depending on OS)?
              Check the security settings on that folder and make sure you have complete access to it with whatever account you're using. You might even need to change ownership.

Cliffmarcum

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 04:43:05 AM »
                I was able to get it after a little work had to go into safe mode under local admin to change anything to do with the trouble user account. but one i got the named changed everything worked just fine have to do some work on her email now but should be good thanks for the help. this one was just buging the crap out of me.