Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win-7 (How to Remove the Lock Icon from Documents And Settings)  (Read 28797 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    Win-7 (How to Remove the Lock Icon from Documents And Settings)
    « on: September 03, 2010, 01:21:18 AM »
    Without going into it to much, i have a "locked icon" on my "documents and settings" on my C;\ drive

I do know the information/folders...etc  that is in the "documents and settings" folder is now in the "USERS" folder

I have tryed to alter the permissions to the documents and settings folder..........but with no luck, i still end up with a "shortcut icon" and access is still denied......... i am the administrator also.

But this "lock icon" is annoying me, even though i know where the folders are.

Is there a sure way to get this  locked icon of the documents and settings folder, i am familar with the registry, and wonderd if it can be removed from there.

Windows 7 home premium x64

windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Win-7 (How to Remove the Lock Icon from Documents And Settings)
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 02:11:43 AM »
    The reason the lock icon appears is because the "Authenticated users" group is not in the ACL of the folder.

Right-Click the folder, choose properties. Select the Security Tab. Choose "Edit" In the "permissions for <folder>" dialog that appears, choose "Add".

Type "Authenticated Users" (without quotes) in the "Enter Object names to select" box. Click OK in all the open dialogs, and allow it to apply the changes. It may give a "permission denied" error quite a few times, just say continue until it finishes.

That being said, the Lock icon overlay is a piece of information relating to the folder- it's saying "the permissions on this folder differ from it's parent folder". That is, you'll see lock icons on all profile folders (usually), because their permissions differ from the parent folder- a user named james can access C:\Users but not C:\Users\Tom.

What you are effectively doing by performing the steps above is saying that Any logged on user can access your account data, such as documents and so forth.

ShellIconOverlay info is stored in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers; in this case, the "SharingPrivate" subkey, which contains a single clsid:

{08244EE6-92F0-47f2-9FC9-929BAA2E7235}

which is a clsid for the object factory in %SystemRoot%\system32\ntshrui.dll, which in turn contains the lock icon as one of it's resources (120, to be precise).

You could replace this with empty icons. I don't think you can delete them outright, since you'll probably cause a stellar crash whenever you use explorer.

Of course, the problem is, I don't know of a good resource editor that can change 64-bit executables, and even changing the 32-bit version is less then perfect, since it wil just be replaced by SFC, so then you'll have to copy the dll, change it using a resource editor, reboot into recovery console, copy the file into system32 and the appropriate dllcache folders, and then reboot.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:40:11 AM »
      The reason the lock icon appears is because the "Authenticated users" group is not in the ACL of the folder.

Right-Click the folder, choose properties. Select the Security Tab. Choose "Edit" In the "permissions for <folder>" dialog that appears, choose "Add".

Type "Authenticated Users" (without quotes) in the "Enter Object names to select" box. Click OK in all the open dialogs, and allow it to apply the changes. It may give a "permission denied" error quite a few times, just say continue until it finishes.

That being said, the Lock icon overlay is a piece of information relating to the folder- it's saying "the permissions on this folder differ from it's parent folder". That is, you'll see lock icons on all profile folders (usually), because their permissions differ from the parent folder- a user named james can access C:\Users but not C:\Users\Tom.

What you are effectively doing by performing the steps above is saying that Any logged on user can access your account data, such as documents and so forth.

Thanks BC Programmer.

I didn't think this option would work...........i have since found out that this is not a real folder

The Documents and Settings folder in Win 7 (like Vista) is a "junction," or shortcut," to C:\Users (if you installed Windows on C).

It's there for backwards compatibility; software written to use the old Documents and Settings path just get redirected to the appropriate folder under Users.

I think i'll give up on this one...........altering permissions won't get you anywhere.
      The second part you suggested......i'll leave that one, its just not worth all the effort for this.... :)

I have got rid of the lock icon, but i now have a shortcut icon, so if this is a shortcut to C:\Users, and i am the only user , should i still be getting the access denied.............most confusing (folder options are set to show hidden files)

I should be getting redirected to the C:\Users folder...............its so confusing i forgot what i wanted to access this for
      windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:53:04 AM »
      I have got rid of the lock icon, but i now have a shortcut icon, so if this is a shortcut to C:\Users, and i am the only user , should i still be getting the access denied.............most confusing (folder options are set to show hidden files)

I should be getting redirected to the C:\Users folder...............its so confusing i forgot what i wanted to access this for
      This is by design. It's not a shortcut, it's a Junction Point, similar, but at the file system level.

getting "access denied" is on purpose- there is no reason to access Documents & Settings as opposed to C:\Users; Programs can access them, but the junction point just redirects them to C:\Users.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »
        This is by design. It's not a shortcut, it's a Junction Point, similar, but at the file system level.

getting "access denied" is on purpose- there is no reason to access Documents & Settings as opposed to C:\Users; Programs can access them, but the junction point just redirects them to C:\Users. 

Thanks again BC_programmer

The initial confusion was that i wasn't getting redirected to C:\Users........

This is where i was going....C:\Documents and Settings\<your profile name>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ati9z0wb.default
        But  now i know its in C:\Users

How was one to know this....i am the administrator and the only user, and i have system files showing, so why did it not redirect me to C:\Users
        This must lead to other people getting confused over this, and thinking they have a problem like i did.

Or is it just typical windows or microsoft   :)

PS

It has the shortcut symbol on the folder, so this makes you think its a shortcut, if its not a shortcut why is there a shortcut symbol on the folder.......(just a thought)

2gb ram/32 bit/

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 07:23:15 AM »
          Yep.

Roaming AppData:
          In XP, it's C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
          In Vista/7, it's C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming

Local AppData:
          In XP, it's C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data
          In Vista/7, it's C:\Users\username\AppData\Local

The junction points are to redirect older programs to the newer paths.
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
            « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »
            Yep.

Roaming AppData:
            In XP, it's C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data
            In Vista/7, it's C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming

Local AppData:
            In XP, it's C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data
            In Vista/7, it's C:\Users\username\AppData\Local

The junction points are to redirect older programs to the newer paths.

ARR.....i think  i must have been reading instructions for XP, when i was on my Win 7 computer.
            Guess what........i was  :||

Thankyou guys, for clearing that up for me

2gb ram/32 bit/