Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Task Manager Shows 90-95 processes running, I count 32  (Read 8737 times)

compunewbie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Task Manager Shows 90-95 processes running, I count 32
    « on: September 03, 2010, 09:20:22 AM »
    Hi There.  I am new to this forum, so I hope this is the correct place to post this question.  If not, I apologize.   :)

I have had some recent "issues" with my laptop, some that will definitely belong in other forums on this site, but this is one I think belongs here and couldn't find any other information doing a "search".

As the subject states, if I open up Windows Task Manager, and click on Processes; in the lower left hand corner, it seems to currently go from showing that 94 or 95 (actually, right now it has changed to 91 and I have done nothing different since starting this thread) processes are running while I only count 32 or 33 (it changes as I look at the screen) listed in the window that lists them all.  I do not really understand computers, and have to wonder if these 90+ processes are slowing things down, and would love to know what I can permanently turn off from automatically running to help boost performance.  I am going to "snip" a shot of the Task Manager window showing this so you can see what I mean.  Or at least I am going to try to since there is a button that says "Insert Image".  :)  Now, it says 97 processes are running, just from selecting the "snipping" tool.  See, I really don't know what I am doing.

And now I see that clicking the "insert image" button just puts img in brackets with the cursor blinking in between so I have no idea how to attach the image, sorry.

With all this said, if someone can tell me how to attach the screen shot so that I can be told what can and can't be turned off, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, and have a great holiday weekend..........for those of us in the USA.

If it helps any, my computer is an HP Pavillion dv7-1267cl Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit with 4gb Ram, 500gb HDD, and Blu-Ray DVD Player/DVD Burner.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Task Manager Shows 90-95 processes running, I count 32
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 10:50:49 AM »
    All i can say is you can go bonkers staring at Task Manager and trying to figure out what's what...

2 Things you can do...DLoad and install Process Explorer...gives a much clearer pictuire of what's happening...

And DLoad and install StartupCPL from Mike Lin...use it to get your startup items under control...

NOTE: Do NOT disable anything if you do not know what it does...

Best of Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

compunewbie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »
      All i can say is you can go bonkers staring at Task Manager and trying to figure out what's what...

2 Things you can do...DLoad and install Process Explorer...gives a much clearer pictuire of what's happening...

And DLoad and install StartupCPL from Mike Lin...use it to get your startup items under control...

Best of Luck.

Thank you for your time.  I will follow your suggestions with one apparent exception.  I went to the site for StartupCPL and it is not for use with Vista, but he posted how to do it.  Hopefully I will be able to figure it out.

I would never disable something without knowing what it does.  That's why I was hoping I could post the screen shot of what was/is running when I first turn on my computer, but I don't know how to do it.  If I upload the screenshot to my photo hosting sight and insert a link to that photo, maybe that would work.  I may just try it now.  Can't hurt.

OK, I inserted the link and clicked the "preview" button and it worked.  But because it is such a small file size, it appears the image will need to be clicked on, which will take you to my website and you can then actually see what is in the image. 

Thanks again.  Have a great weekend.

johngetter

Hopeful

• The Computer Master (Number 2)
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 04:03:30 PM »

Best of Luck.

yes I agree there is a process that will crash your computer instantly if you end it. Ive done that once.

Call of Duty Player
      Operation 7 Player
      Halo Reach Player
      Acer User

I am glad to help you today...Have a Nice Day, From your Friendl

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
      yes I agree there is a process that will crash your computer instantly if you end it. Ive done that once.
      Gee, thanks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:39:24 PM »
      have you tries showing all processes using the "show processes from all users" button? Because it's not enabled in the screenshot.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »
      Startup CPL runs fine on all versions of Windows...
      I have it on both a Vista and Win7 Machine...

greentech07

Starter

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 11:51:47 PM »
        scan ur pc with antivirus, kill suspicious process ,

johngetter

Hopeful

• The Computer Master (Number 2)
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »
        Gee, thanks.

This is the most  sarcastic forum ive been on  8)

Call of Duty Player
        Operation 7 Player
        Halo Reach Player
        Acer User

I am glad to help you today...Have a Nice Day, From your Friendl

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 08:32:38 PM »
        Welcome Aboard.....

We try harder.

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 01:52:39 PM »
          have you tries showing all processes using the "show processes from all users" button? Because it's not enabled in the screenshot.

This.  #1 reason why not all processes show up in Task Manager, especially in Vista and Windows 7 (or even in XP under a limited user account).
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.