Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk management showing volume/partition that does not exist.  (Read 5564 times)

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

Disk management showing volume/partition that does not exist.
    « on: September 06, 2010, 11:35:26 PM »
    I tried to connect an external drive that wasn't showing up so I went into Disk Management and tried to enable it. I was not able to get the drive to work on this laptop but now when I look in Disk Management, it's showing a volume for a 12GB hard drive that is not connected. In addition, to the right of Disk 0, it shows 3 partitions now.
    The first is the 12GB  "Recovery Partition", then the 102MB "System Reserve" which is normal and then the C drive which looks normal.

There is no 12GB HD connected to this laptop. When I right click either on the volume on top or the "partition" below, it doesn't give any options besides "Help", which is pretty useless.

Here is a screen shot:

Any idea how to delete this volume/partition?

I tried system restore, by the way. It didn't remove it.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Disk management showing volume/partition that does not exist.
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »
    You say you believe the 12GB partition/drive should not appear in Disk Management, yet it's clearly labeled Recovery Partition.  So, the 12GB partition is the Recovery Partition put there by Acer and it's there in case you need to restore your system to it's original configuration.  This, i.e., a Recovery Partition,  is standard on practically all computers on the market in recent years. 

And, if you use the Recovery Partition to restore the system, the Recovery Partition will continue to exist after you've done a restore.

So, based on your post, I really don't see a problem.  Can you re-state or clarify what you feel is the problem?

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »
      I just think it's weird that there is a 12GB partition when there is no 12GB hard drive connected to the computer. if that is normal, then I guess I won't worry about it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:51:39 PM »
      I just think it's weird that there is a 12GB partition when there is no 12GB hard drive connected to the computer. if that is normal, then I guess I won't worry about it.

It is a 12 GB sized partition of a much larger disk.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:29:36 AM »
      Apparently, you don't understand hard drive partitioning.  When a hard drive is partitioned, or divided into parts, Windows recognizes each partition as a drive.

It is a 12 GB sized partition of a much larger disk.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:41:34 AM »

Information on Drive Partitioning

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/partitio.htm
      11 cheers for binary !