Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: insufficient memory in Windows 98  (Read 58223 times)

scridley54

Re: insufficient memory in Windows 98, final thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 02:43:05 AM »
To all of you kind and helpful types who tried to help me get past a really bad Win98 install ...patio, willyW, ianbell, Broni, Sid, Daniel1212, quaxo... Thanks.
I really appreciate all of you. 
Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to admit it when you're licked.  I'm licked.  A couple of times I got so frustrated trying to get WIN98 to behave that I started to smack the computer around.  How pointless is that?
Went out and got a bootable XP CD and had the little sucker humming like a top on the first try.  Even got it to work with my full 2 gigs of RAM.  All the drivers for my graphics card and motherboard are loaded up and work just as they're supposed to.
Thanks again, folks. 

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: insufficient memory in Windows 98
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 09:27:51 AM »
Good to hear you are up and running...stop by anytime !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

tessierc

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
    I just wanted to thank you people for all your wealth of information. I was stumped and I had the same error message for insufficient memory after I loaded 98. I just took out 1 stick of memory and it ran fine. I had 2 Gig dropped to 1.

Thanx,

Cindy Tessier

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 12:54:33 PM »
    That's certainly good news and Welcome to CH ! !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

oldnotbold

Greenhorn

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 01:19:40 AM »
      I asked, because...
      That's the error, when you have 1GB, or more RAM installed on Windows 98: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184447
      Of course, it can be done only by Micro$oft, to give you an error about Insufficient memory, while actually, you have too much of it...LOL

I had the Windows 98 startup problem with 2 GB of ram and the advice in the link above solved it for me, i.e., adding "MaxPhysPage=30000" to the [386Enh] section of system.ini. (I had previously tried removing half the ram, but then the machine wouldn't even boot the BIOS for some reason.)

Unfortunately I still had the problem of not being able to open a DOS window, so I had to add a MaxFileCache entry in the [VCache] section of system.ini, as discussed at this link which was also posted earlier in the thread: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253912. I used a value of 262144. (I couldn't use 524288 because that caused a new startup problem.)

A MinFileCache entry turned out not to be necessary, but I did have to remove the fixed paging file size I was previously using for virtual memory, and let Windows manage that on its own. That, in combination with the MaxFileCache entry did the trick for the DOS windows.

So now I can run my legacy games again!

tuannvbg

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
       ;D My Computer Mainboard Gigabyte G41, CPU Core Due 3.0, RAM 2GB, I install Win98SE but I see error Quit one or more memory-resident...I search error throught google and I try follow guide some forum but not ok! I think install Win98SE have more option install. I try command (example): C:\win98Se\Setup /? and I try: Setup /im ---> yeah ok I install Win98SE success with 2GB! My English is bad because I'm Vietnamese  ;D

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 01:18:19 AM »
      ;D My Computer Mainboard Gigabyte G41, CPU Core Due 3.0, RAM 2GB, I install Win98SE but I see error Quit one or more memory-resident...I search error throught google and I try follow guide some forum but not ok! I think install Win98SE have more option install. I try command (example): C:\win98Se\Setup /? and I try: Setup /im ---> yeah ok I install Win98SE success with 2GB! My English is bad because I'm Vietnamese  ;D

Please start your own topic.

oldnotbold

Greenhorn

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
        I found I was still having problems after applying the fixes above, so I ended up using another solution: Virtual PC 2004, which is available free from Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=6D58729D-DFA8-40BF-AFAF-20BCB7F01CD1&displaylang=en

You install this under a later operating system, such as Windows 2000 or XP, and it lets you specify how much RAM the virtual PC will have available to it, which solves the problem. I used the 2004 version because it runs under Windows XP, but later versions are available too. There are a number of legacy games that I was able to get running this way, with a couple of exceptions.

Here is an article that has a table showing compatiblility of various versions with various operating systems, and links for where to download them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC

I found this set of instructions helpful:

http://www.metzomagic.com/showArticle.php?fileName=/int/help/VirtualPC2007FAQ.html&articleType=Steves+XP+Games+Corner&title=metzomagic.com+Virtual+PC+2007+FAQ

I installed both Windows 95 and 98 using those instructions, but with 95 it was also necessary to apply the second tip from this blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/02/15/372846.aspx