Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WoL and Wake-on-Internet behind a router.  (Read 3127 times)

Diatech

Topic Starter

Rookie

• who, me?
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
WoL and Wake-on-Internet behind a router.
« on: September 09, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »
I'm trying to setup up my PC to Wake on Lan and Wake-on-Internet. I have an ASUS P5E-Deluxe motherboard, which  supports wake on PCI-E. It also has an integrated PCI-E network interface card.

I enabled wake on PCI-E in BIOS, and set the NIC's device properties to never power down, to allow waking the computer, and to wake on Magic Packet.

The issue is, I'm behind a router. Normally, it would be as simple as forwarding port 9 to the static internal IP I have my PC set to, but since an IP isn't assigned to the computer until its booted, (even though it is still connected to the router) forwarding port 9 to the static Internal IP wouldn't do anything.

So, I thought I'd try forwarding port 9 to the broadcast address, and seeing if that would work (Since the computer is still connected to the computer and connected to the subnet, even if it doesn't have an assigned IP). Unfortuneatley, my Netgear WNR100v2 router doesn't allow this.

So, I need another way of turning on my PC from the internet. Everything in BIOS is configured correctly, I just do not know how to deliver the Magic Packet to my computer.

Thanks for reading, I would sincerely appreciate any help you could offer.

Diatech

(P.S. - Networking isn't one of my strong points, so please be patient with me!  :))