Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linuxmint debian won't open  (Read 41362 times)

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

Linuxmint debian won't open
    « on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:53 PM »
    I downloaded Linuxmint-debian-201009 to my computer, when I tried to open it I got the following msg in popup window:  "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the Folder Options control panel"

I am wanting to save this file to a DVD and use it on another computer as an only operating system.  I tried opening on this computer first (windows xp os, 2.6ghz intel) to make sure it would work properly.  This is my first experience with Linux.   ???

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Linuxmint debian won't open
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:46:29 PM »
    You need an ISO burning program to burn the image to a disk.
    Try ImgBurn. Get it here:
    http://www.imgburn.com/

If you are unsure how to burn the disk, there's a guide here:
    http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
      Thank you, its getting late for me, I will try your suggestions tomorrow

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:20:23 AM »
        You need an ISO burning program to burn the image to a disk.
        Try ImgBurn. Get it here:
        http://www.imgburn.com/

If you are unsure how to burn the disk, there's a guide here:
        http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn

I got the ImgBurn program and is working ok.   :)  Haven't installed os on comp. yet will be next project
        Thank you

JJ 3000

Egghead
        « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »
        If that's a live CD of Linux mint, you can boot to it and try it, before you decide if you want to install it.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »
          I don't think the file burned to dvd is right.  There are 2 folders "casper" and "isolinux" and 1 txt file "md5sum" on the disk.  It could be that I didn't get the "linuxmint file" downloaded from website to my computer right.

I did burn "ubuntu" file with ImgBurn to a cd and it had live disk, already run it in live mode on a computer without any operating system, was slow but run ok.

2x3i5x

Expert
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 04:56:49 PM »
          Try redownloading linux mint again if you think you may have downloaded a bad file.

Linux Mint "Debian" - Linux Mint Debian (201009), that's the version you trying to get?

Here is the website again: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=66, plenty of download mirrors on this page. Good Luck

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
            Try redownloading linux mint again if you think you may have downloaded a bad file.

Linux Mint "Debian" - Linux Mint Debian (201009), that's the version you trying to get?

Here is the website again: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=66, plenty of download mirrors on this page. Good Luck

yes, Linux Mint Debian (201009) is the file I am trying to download and burn to dvd.

I see the different mirrows for USA to download from on that site

Thank you for info

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »
              Unable to burn Linux Mint Debian (201009) file to dvd disk with ImgBurn, I downloaded file again from website and still same results, only 3 files on disk (casper, isolinux and md5sum txt doc.).  I tried 4 different dvd's (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM and DVD+/-RW), the file is to big for cd burn.   

ImgBurn software worked ok with Linux ubuntu.  Burned cd and run ubuntu on Emachine with 512 mb,  AMD 2000 processor in Live mode from cd then installed it on 20gb harddrive, only os on the computer, runs good.

2x3i5x

Expert
              « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
              take that ISO and extract it and then the try burning the resulting files to the DVD. I recommend you still try burning to your DVDRW to see if it works.

Typically you don't need do that with ISO files, but try that with your ISO file you have now.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 12:37:16 PM »
                I don't understand, how do I extract the file and from what source?   ???

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »
                I don't understand, how do I extract the file and from what source?   ???

You don't "extract"  anything. An ISO is an image of a CD or DVD. You just use it to create a disk with your burning app whatever that is, using the "burn image" mode.
                « Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:30:20 PM by Salmon Trout »

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »
                  Ok, I'm using ImgBurn software, I didn't have any problem using it to burn ubuntu but its not working right with linuxmint debian.

Thank you

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:20:29 PM »
                  its not working right with linuxmint debian

Download it again

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »
                    ok, I will try downloading from different mirrow

2x3i5x

Expert
                    « Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 01:45:28 PM »
                    Like Salmon Trout said, you usually don't need to extract ISO files and you just burn straight away to DVD using the ISO burning mode of software you are using. If you have successfully downloaded same ISO file from several different mirrors (and all have same filename and file sizes), and none of them burn successfully, then something is weird.

Maybe somehow the ISO has a problem burning to DVD as is but you can burn the contents of the ISO, which may work fine. Hopefully that works and you can get on with installing your new linux OS you wanted.
                    « Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:07:28 PM by 2x3i5x »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »
                    Maybe somehow the ISO has a problem burning to DVD as is but the files contained in it are all good? Hopefully that works and you can get on with installing your new linux OS you wanted.

I tried to be polite and not write that your advice was wrong, but you have persisted. Read this: The ISO is an image of a bootable disk. Extracting the files and folders and burning them to a CD-ROM will not produce a bootable disk. That is why he should not follow your "advice".

2x3i5x

Expert
                    « Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
                    I tried to be polite and not write that your advice was wrong, but you have persisted. Read this: The ISO is an image of a bootable disk. Extracting the files and folders and burning them to a CD-ROM will not produce a bootable disk. That is why he should not follow your "advice".

ok, thank you then. but on another thought, he's downloading a 678 mb or so ISO file and I think it's a CD ISO file and you can't burn that to a DVD???.

If that's what he did, probably reason why it won't open??? 'cuz it's a CD image on a DVD file and they're not the same??? Thought I think I understand he tried burning to CD unsuccessfully first?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
                    a CD image on a DVD file and they're not the same

You can burn a CD iso image to a DVD. You would waste most of the DVD space, and the disk would only read in a DVD drive but it should still work if the ISO was not corrupted.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
                      ok, thank you then. but on another thought, he's downloading a 678 mb or so ISO file and I think it's a CD ISO file and you can't burn that to a DVD???.

If that's what he did, probably reason why it won't open??? 'cuz it's a CD image on a DVD file and they're not the same??? Thought I think I understand he tried burning to CD unsuccessfully first?

File is 895,628 kb which is to big for cd.  I didn't try burning to cd for that reason, only tried burning to DVD.

jbmwx

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
                        hey, maybe you can burn ISO to a usb thumb drive?

Assuming D drive is the image drive, and E is the flash drive, I think you can just do xcopy D:\*.* E: /s/e/f in command prompt which should copy the iso thing to the stick (use daemontools to load the ISO file. )

maybe linux can install from there? i only tested win vista so not sure of linux iso.
                        « Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:08:32 PM by jbmwx »

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »
                          I don't understand, first I have windows xp, next I have an iso file in doc's folder that needs to be converted to bootable linux os to dvd using ImgBurn software.

I am in the process of downloading Linuxmint Debian file from a different download mirrow to my document folder and will try burning again to disk, if that doesn't work I will be ready to throw the towel in unless somebody knows what I am doing wrong.  I used the same process with Linux ubuntu and it worked fine.

jbmwx

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
                            if linux ubunutu suited you fine and you are happy with it, then i would go ahead and use it instead of bashing your head at linux mint for hating your dvd burner.  :P

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 07:07:51 PM »
                              This is my first time with linux and don't really know which one is best suited for me, I wanted to try Linuxmint Debian but I will be content for now with ubuntu

Thank you an all for your posts

JJ 3000

Egghead
                              « Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »
                              I don't think the file burned to dvd is right.  There are 2 folders "casper" and "isolinux" and 1 txt file "md5sum" on the disk.  It could be that I didn't get the "linuxmint file" downloaded from website to my computer right.

It worked fine for me. Try downloading it from here:
                              http://mira.sunsite.utk.edu/linuxmint/debian/linuxmint-debian-201009-gnome-dvd-i386.iso
                              Save a Life!
                              Adopt a homeless pet.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
                                • Yes
                              • Certifications: List
                              • Experience: Experienced
                              « Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
                              This is my first time with linux and don't really know which one is best suited for me, I wanted to try Linuxmint Debian but I will be content for now with ubuntu

Thank you an all for your posts
                              Hello. First of all, Welcome to the world of Linux. I really hope you enjoy you Linux experience...it is a very nice OS once you get past the learning curve.

In regards to your situation...
                              Did you have a reason to need the Debian version of Linux Mint? The standard (Ubuntu-based) version is just as good, in fact I would say it is better because it has more software available for it. You can download the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint version from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. It'll be the first option.

But I personally recommend Ubuntu, as long as you can manage to install multimedia codecs and stuff.

Anyway, I hope something here helps you. Feel free to post back here for help anytime or PM if you have any questions about the Linux operating system.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »
                                http://mira.sunsite.utk.edu/linuxmint/debian/linuxmint-debian-201009-gnome-dvd-i386.iso

Same thing except file was 315mb, other download sites was was over 800mb, tried burning it to cd instead of dvd anyway, same results: casper folder, isolinux folder and md5sum txt file.  Odd thing is that casper folder showed 873mb while isolinux showed 315mb, how could 700mb cd have over 100mb's on it.

I am suspecting DVD/CD drive or ImgBurn software isn't working properly, but why would it work with ubuntu and not mint-debian?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 08:15:50 AM »
                                The correct size for that file is 917123072 bytes, a shade under 875 MB, I think we need to know what download method you are using.

md5sum txt file

This will tell you if the file is corrupted. You need to download md5.exe

http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:32:29 AM by Salmon Trout »

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 11:19:49 AM »
                                  Hello. First of all, Welcome to the world of Linux. I really hope you enjoy you Linux experience...it is a very nice OS once you get past the learning curve.

In regards to your situation...
                                  Did you have a reason to need the Debian version of Linux Mint? The standard (Ubuntu-based) version is just as good, in fact I would say it is better because it has more software available for it. You can download the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint version from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. It'll be the first option.

But I personally recommend Ubuntu, as long as you can manage to install multimedia codecs and stuff.

Anyway, I hope something here helps you. Feel free to post back here for help anytime or PM if you have any questions about the Linux operating system.

Thanks for welcome and info, went to web site you suggested, downloaded first file which was Linux Mint 9, file downloaded ok, burned to disk ok but file that I was having trouble with is Linuxmint Debian (201009).  I have a computer without os and wan't to try linux mint debian (201009), I have ubuntu on another pc and is runing ok.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
                                  I think we need to know what download method you are using.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 11:34:07 AM »
                                    The correct size for that file is 917123072 bytes, a shade under 875 MB, I think we need to know what download method you are using.

This will tell you if the file is corrupted. You need to download md5.exe

http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/

The file in question was downloaded from a site sugested by JJ 3000.
                                    The files I was working with were 875mb.  I download them by clicking on download button or mirrow and click on save to file at prompt.  downloade two other files and burned to disk ok but seems like Linux Mint Debian 201009 is only file that I am having problem with

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 11:40:44 AM »

I click on download button or mirrow, then click on save to file at prompt, file then is downloaded to documents folder.

Did this answer your query?

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
                                      « Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
                                      Thanks for welcome and info, went to web site you suggested, downloaded first file which was Linux Mint 9, file downloaded ok, burned to disk ok but file that I was having trouble with is Linuxmint Debian (201009).  I have a computer without os and wan't to try linux mint debian (201009), I have ubuntu on another pc and is runing ok.
                                      A lot of users would never know between the Linux Mint 9 you just got and the Linux Mint Debian (201009). They are the same OS, the main difference is that one uses Ubuntu system files as a base and the other uses Debian system files as a base.

If the standard Linux Mint 9 that you've just burned works then I would recommend using that.
                                      Unless there is a reason for needing the Debian version.

Did you try this, it may just work?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 12:04:09 PM »
                                      Cityscape, read the previous posts.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »
                                      I click on download button or mirrow, then click on save to file at prompt, file then is downloaded to documents folder.

Did this answer your query?

you mean mirror I think; I meant are you doing this in your browser and if so which one? Have you tried wget?

Often people using browsers to get ISOs from mirrors will get an incomplete download. So you could use wget instead.

If you are using Windows this is where you can get it

http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/cgi-bin/fetch.pl?dl=wget/wget.exe

Code: [Select]
                                      S:\Test\wget-win32>wget http://mira.sunsite.utk.edu/linuxmint/debian/linuxmint-debian-201009-gnome-dvd-i386.iso
                                      --2010-09-18 19:24:48--  http://mira.sunsite.utk.edu/linuxmint/debian/linuxmint-debian-201009-gnome-dvd-i386.iso
                                      Resolving mira.sunsite.utk.edu... 160.36.179.91
                                      Connecting to mira.sunsite.utk.edu|160.36.179.91|:80... connected.
                                      HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
                                      Length: 917123072 (875M) [application/octet-stream]
                                      Saving to: `linuxmint-debian-201009-gnome-dvd-i386.iso'

0% [                                                                                                           ] 659,460      162K/s  eta 92m 43s

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:26:00 PM by Salmon Trout »

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 12:24:39 PM »
                                        I am using Windows Internet Explorer.  What is Wget and how do I get and use it?
                                        I Meant mirror.  (poor speller)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »
                                        I am using Windows Internet Explorer.  What is Wget and how do I get and use it?

I have edited my above post while you were posting

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 12:38:13 PM »
                                          I have downloaded Wget and was saved in documents folder as Application.
                                          I tried to run program and all I got was a black screen to flash up and disappear before I could see what was on it

Salmon Trout

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 01:03:04 PM »
                                          I have downloaded Wget and was saved in documents folder as Application.
                                          I tried to run program and all I got was a black screen to flash up and disappear before I could see what was on it

Yes that would happen.  Open a command window in that folder and type wget at the prompt.

Anyhow, wget is built into Linux so you could use that.

(Are you sure Linux is for you?)

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »
                                            ok, thanks for your help

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
                                            « Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »
                                            (Are you sure Linux is for you?)
                                            Linux is for almost anyone who is willing to learn it.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 05:20:07 PM »
                                            Linux is for almost anyone who is willing to learn it.

That is the bottom line; you have to be curious and willing to find things out.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
                                              This all started with two PC's I got from a pile of items that was thrown out.  The two PC's had no hard drives, I put 20gb hard drives that was also thrown away into each of the pc's, I now have one operational with ubuntu operating system, I want to install mint debian in the other pc so I can take note of difference in the two systems.  I don't intend to spend any money for windows os.  I am new to Linux os and chose them because they are free and I want to learn more about Linux.

I appreciate all the posts that I received and want to thank all for them

Cityscape

Adviser

• Yes
                                              « Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »
                                              This all started with two PC's I got from a pile of items that was thrown out.  The two PC's had no hard drives, I put 20gb hard drives that was also thrown away into each of the pc's, I now have one operational with ubuntu operating system, I want to install mint debian in the other pc so I can take note of difference in the two systems.  I don't intend to spend any money for windows os.  I am new to Linux os and chose them because they are free and I want to learn more about Linux.

I appreciate all the posts that I received and want to thank all for them
                                              Your very welcome.
                                              But I still do not understand why you want the Debian Mint version but not the regular Linux Mint version.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:46 PM »
                                                I don't know anything about either system, i assumed that mint debian was the latest and more advanced os with more features.  Any enlightenment on Linux dist's would be nice.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 05:34:52 AM »
                                                I honestly don't think it matters which distro you use. The differences between them are not as great as their similarities. If you want to be one of those people who play with distros, go ahead. Play with three or four and then go back to Windows. Linux is more than a toy OS however, and if it is really for you you won't really care which one you use.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 05:44:14 AM »
                                                  everyone has to begin somewhere to learn

Salmon Trout

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 05:53:06 AM »
                                                  everyone has to begin somewhere to learn

That is exactly right. You may as well pick any Linux distribution and start using it. There is enough help, both included in the OS and on the Web that you can solve any problem you might have.