Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linuxmint debian won't open  (Read 40973 times)

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Linuxmint debian won't open
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 01:45:28 PM »
Like Salmon Trout said, you usually don't need to extract ISO files and you just burn straight away to DVD using the ISO burning mode of software you are using. If you have successfully downloaded same ISO file from several different mirrors (and all have same filename and file sizes), and none of them burn successfully, then something is weird.

Maybe somehow the ISO has a problem burning to DVD as is but you can burn the contents of the ISO, which may work fine. Hopefully that works and you can get on with installing your new linux OS you wanted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:07:28 PM by 2x3i5x »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 01:52:14 PM »
Maybe somehow the ISO has a problem burning to DVD as is but the files contained in it are all good? Hopefully that works and you can get on with installing your new linux OS you wanted.

I tried to be polite and not write that your advice was wrong, but you have persisted. Read this: The ISO is an image of a bootable disk. Extracting the files and folders and burning them to a CD-ROM will not produce a bootable disk. That is why he should not follow your "advice".

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
I tried to be polite and not write that your advice was wrong, but you have persisted. Read this: The ISO is an image of a bootable disk. Extracting the files and folders and burning them to a CD-ROM will not produce a bootable disk. That is why he should not follow your "advice".

ok, thank you then. but on another thought, he's downloading a 678 mb or so ISO file and I think it's a CD ISO file and you can't burn that to a DVD???.

If that's what he did, probably reason why it won't open??? 'cuz it's a CD image on a DVD file and they're not the same??? Thought I think I understand he tried burning to CD unsuccessfully first?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
a CD image on a DVD file and they're not the same

You can burn a CD iso image to a DVD. You would waste most of the DVD space, and the disk would only read in a DVD drive but it should still work if the ISO was not corrupted.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
    ok, thank you then. but on another thought, he's downloading a 678 mb or so ISO file and I think it's a CD ISO file and you can't burn that to a DVD???.

If that's what he did, probably reason why it won't open??? 'cuz it's a CD image on a DVD file and they're not the same??? Thought I think I understand he tried burning to CD unsuccessfully first?

File is 895,628 kb which is to big for cd.  I didn't try burning to cd for that reason, only tried burning to DVD.

jbmwx

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 05:14:30 PM »
      hey, maybe you can burn ISO to a usb thumb drive?

Assuming D drive is the image drive, and E is the flash drive, I think you can just do xcopy D:\*.* E: /s/e/f in command prompt which should copy the iso thing to the stick (use daemontools to load the ISO file. )

maybe linux can install from there? i only tested win vista so not sure of linux iso.
      « Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:08:32 PM by jbmwx »

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »
        I don't understand, first I have windows xp, next I have an iso file in doc's folder that needs to be converted to bootable linux os to dvd using ImgBurn software.

I am in the process of downloading Linuxmint Debian file from a different download mirrow to my document folder and will try burning again to disk, if that doesn't work I will be ready to throw the towel in unless somebody knows what I am doing wrong.  I used the same process with Linux ubuntu and it worked fine.

jbmwx

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 06:17:14 PM »
          if linux ubunutu suited you fine and you are happy with it, then i would go ahead and use it instead of bashing your head at linux mint for hating your dvd burner.  :P

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 07:07:51 PM »
            This is my first time with linux and don't really know which one is best suited for me, I wanted to try Linuxmint Debian but I will be content for now with ubuntu

Thank you an all for your posts

JJ 3000

Egghead
            « Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »
            I don't think the file burned to dvd is right.  There are 2 folders "casper" and "isolinux" and 1 txt file "md5sum" on the disk.  It could be that I didn't get the "linuxmint file" downloaded from website to my computer right.

It worked fine for me. Try downloading it from here:
            http://mira.sunsite.utk.edu/linuxmint/debian/linuxmint-debian-201009-gnome-dvd-i386.iso
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
              • Yes
            • Certifications: List
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
            This is my first time with linux and don't really know which one is best suited for me, I wanted to try Linuxmint Debian but I will be content for now with ubuntu

Thank you an all for your posts
            Hello. First of all, Welcome to the world of Linux. I really hope you enjoy you Linux experience...it is a very nice OS once you get past the learning curve.

In regards to your situation...
            Did you have a reason to need the Debian version of Linux Mint? The standard (Ubuntu-based) version is just as good, in fact I would say it is better because it has more software available for it. You can download the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint version from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. It'll be the first option.

But I personally recommend Ubuntu, as long as you can manage to install multimedia codecs and stuff.

Anyway, I hope something here helps you. Feel free to post back here for help anytime or PM if you have any questions about the Linux operating system.

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »
              It worked fine for me. Try downloading it from here:
              http://mira.sunsite.utk.edu/linuxmint/debian/linuxmint-debian-201009-gnome-dvd-i386.iso

Same thing except file was 315mb, other download sites was was over 800mb, tried burning it to cd instead of dvd anyway, same results: casper folder, isolinux folder and md5sum txt file.  Odd thing is that casper folder showed 873mb while isolinux showed 315mb, how could 700mb cd have over 100mb's on it.

I am suspecting DVD/CD drive or ImgBurn software isn't working properly, but why would it work with ubuntu and not mint-debian?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 08:15:50 AM »
              The correct size for that file is 917123072 bytes, a shade under 875 MB, I think we need to know what download method you are using.

md5sum txt file

This will tell you if the file is corrupted. You need to download md5.exe

http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5/

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 08:32:29 AM by Salmon Trout »

cstitt

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 11:19:49 AM »
                Hello. First of all, Welcome to the world of Linux. I really hope you enjoy you Linux experience...it is a very nice OS once you get past the learning curve.

In regards to your situation...
                Did you have a reason to need the Debian version of Linux Mint? The standard (Ubuntu-based) version is just as good, in fact I would say it is better because it has more software available for it. You can download the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint version from here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php. It'll be the first option.

But I personally recommend Ubuntu, as long as you can manage to install multimedia codecs and stuff.

Anyway, I hope something here helps you. Feel free to post back here for help anytime or PM if you have any questions about the Linux operating system.

Thanks for welcome and info, went to web site you suggested, downloaded first file which was Linux Mint 9, file downloaded ok, burned to disk ok but file that I was having trouble with is Linuxmint Debian (201009).  I have a computer without os and wan't to try linux mint debian (201009), I have ubuntu on another pc and is runing ok.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »
                I think we need to know what download method you are using.