Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Registry Corrupt?  (Read 35542 times)

4hugger

Windows Registry Corrupt?
« on: July 30, 2005, 09:52:14 AM »
Hello,
 You guys really helped me out a couple of weeks ago and I am hoping for some of the same help again.
 I had a horrible virus that kept me from using the internet at all and I finally got that taken care of....now I'm getting a message on start-up that says my Windows Registry is corrupt?
  I'm running XP on a cable modem...I contacted my ISP when this first started and they said that everything is good at their end but they cannot ping my IP address....even my computer is saying it's connected! I tried to repair the connection but it failed due to no IP address.
  I can go online for MAYBE 3 minutes at a time then I have to reset the IP in cmd prompt...turn off the computer & modem , turn it all back on....do another 3 minutes and start all over. I ran a virus scan but nothing is showing up. Can a corrupt registry do this? How can I fix it?
  I already erased the entire HD and reinstalled everything but I'm still having the same problem.
  Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Raptor

Re: Windows Registry Corrupt?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 09:56:10 AM »
Can you show a screenshot of the error message?

Do you believe it is a legitimate error?

If you recently reformatted the HDD, how can the same problems re-occur? Have you taken proper measures against security threats and installed programs such as described below before connecting to the Internet?

Virus scanners
AVG Free
-- Anti virus scanner
Trend Micro Housecall
-- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
Microsoft Antispyware
-- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
Spybot Search & Destroy
-- Anti spyware scanner
Adaware SE Personal
-- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
Using only one firewall is advised. Dual firewalls may cause problems.
Using a hardware firewall and a software firewall is even more adviced.

ZoneAlarm Free
-- Free firewall - more user friendly
Sygate Personal
-- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
-- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
McAfee Stinger
-- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
CWshredder
-- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.

4hugger

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 01:49:10 PM »
Yes, I have 3 antivirus/spyware programs. AVG , Microsoft and Norton. I did have a trojan horse and a worm about 3 weeks ago but once I downloaded AVG & Microsoft  they both detected and got rid on them. I After that, everything was great and running smooth. Now Im getting these registry messages and having problems staying connected and I really have reached the end of my limits. I dont know what else to do.....why am I still having this problem. I've formatted and reinstalled 3 times!!!
  No, I dont think the message is legit...theres a website ad that comes along with the error....www.fixwindowsnow.com......ano ther was www.regedit.com.
  I dont know how to show you a screen shot but I can explain.....its a small gray box that pops up right after start up...before the desktop even loads.  Its says tha following:
   "Message from System to Alert...your Windows registry is corrupted and an immediate scan is necessary for your computer to continue"
   This is the most frustrating thing I have every come across.
   Its almost as if the computer knows what I'm doing as I have have to copy & paste this to notepad & save so I can restart 2 or 3 times to be able to get a message posted here.
  Once I wasnt even able to open up notepad, wordpad or Word to paste it too and had to re-type everything!

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 03:54:01 PM »
What  proceeds did  you used in re-install the system!

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 04:06:00 PM »
No, I dont think the message is legit...theres a website ad that comes along with the error....www.fixwindowsnow.com......ano ther was www.regedit.com.

This indicates a spyware threat. I suggest that you download the spyware scanners immediatly and fully configure them.

Take the following actions:

1. Install and configure scanners
2. Boot into safe mode
3. Turn off System Restore
4. Scan and remove threats.

4hugger

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 07:09:17 PM »
Ok....microsoft antispyware detected the following trojan horse.  TrojanHorse IRC/BackDoor.SdBot.188.BQ.
 AVG didnt detect it al all. Microsoft scanned & found it but it says it cannot be healed?
  At least I know what I'm dealing with now. I've been at this computer for te last 6 hours and I need a break.
  Thanks so much for all the help so far and Im sure once I start this thing up in the am...I'll be back.

On the re-install....I deleted the partition containing the OS and reinstalled it using the recovery disc.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 08:39:44 PM »

4hugger

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 06:23:39 AM »
    Thanks VERY much for the Panda tip! I tried it first thing this morning and it detected 4 viruses.
      I did find that my windows internet firewall was disabled so now I have the following installed:
      AVG
      Microsoft Antispyware
       Sygate Personal Firewall
       ....should I disable the Windows firewall? Is there anything else I should get for protection?

ultra_classic

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 06:57:36 AM »
    Thanks VERY much for the Panda tip! I tried it first thing this morning and it detected 4 viruses.
       I did find that my windows internet firewall was disabled so now I have the following installed:
       AVG
       Microsoft Antispyware
        Sygate Personal Firewall
        ....should I disable the Windows firewall? Is there anything else I should get for protection?

Greetings 4hugger,
    Yes, disable the Windows Firewall if you are also running Sygate Personal Firewall. Two firewalls running at the same time definitely cause conflicts. Also there is a problem with running two AntiVirus programs at the same time.
    Best regards,
    ultra_classic

4hugger

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 07:58:43 AM »
    Thx all for the tips & advice,
      I am amazed at how much is going on , on my computer that is....that I never knew about. The backtracking option on Sygate is great. When you see that someone has scanned your computer , Sygate immediatly stops it correct?

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 08:11:11 AM »
    Is there anything else I should get for protection?

WinPatrol is an excellent tool as well to monitor your computer.

merlin_2

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 04:09:58 PM »
    now I'm getting a message on start-up that says my Windows Registry is corrupt? hugger
    ========================================
    ^^Interested on this message^^......what else does it display!

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 05:32:07 PM »
    now I'm getting a message on start-up that says my Windows Registry is corrupt? hugger
    ========================================
    ^^Interested on this message^^......what else does it display!

I dont know how to show you a screen shot but I can explain.....its a small gray box that pops up right after start up...before the desktop even loads.  Its says tha following:
        "Message from System to Alert...your Windows registry is corrupted and an immediate scan is necessary for your computer to continue"

::)

merlin_2

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 05:34:51 PM »
    So what is the conclusion......raptor......

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 05:36:19 PM »
    So what is the conclusion......raptor......

That you are being negligent.