Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WIN98SE hardware issue regarding WIN 95/98 games  (Read 5997 times)

remojackson

WIN98SE hardware issue regarding WIN 95/98 games
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:20:21 PM »
I recently pulled my old PC out of the closet for my daughter to use. Here's the specs:

WIN98SE
ASUS A7S333 MB (M7A520 audio option board?)
AMD 1800+ CPU
Nvidia Ge Force4 MX440 Video Card
Generic sound card (LK-26611)
768MB RAM
40GB HD (SEAGATE)

The problem is that after the drivers for the sound card were installed, a PCI card, ESS Maestro 3 PCI off the driver disk, none of the previously installed games will play.

Example: the original Sims was installed prior to the sound driver update and it worked fine including all the expansion packs. Now the game goes to the start up where you choose what screen resolution you want and locks up after that choice. I did the ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager and it showed 2 separate Sims processes then one not responding. I had to restart manually to get the PC out of that one.

I thought maybe this was just the game so I un-installed all of them then reinstalled the original disk, same problem.

This also happens with the classic Red Alert 2 and the expansion pack Yuri's Revenge.

It could be the sound card but that seems a bit of a stretch.

The sound card is just a generic PCI card with the label LK-26611 Type F DMA support, line in, line out jacks with a 15-pin standard game midi port.

All these games worked prior to the driver installation.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?