Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BSOD on windows 2000 pro  (Read 9297 times)

farmgirl806

Topic Starter

Rookie

BSOD on windows 2000 pro
    « on: September 19, 2010, 02:32:09 PM »
    I am getting a bsod when booting my windows 2000 pro. The screen says it is missing the file
    \windows\system32\drivers\sbp2port.sys
    I do not have any ERD. I have a new copy of windows 2000 pro with a valid key.
    All I really want to do it boot this thing enough to get pictures off of it.
    It also has windows ME on another partition. I am unable to use safe mode to load last good configuration. Still get the bsod in safe mode. It will not let me change to the ME partition either.
    Can I use the recovery console or repair and use the extract command to fix this?
    Can someone please guide me to get this thing booted? Thanks!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: BSOD on windows 2000 pro
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
    Repair Install...

The notes are for XP but the procedure is the same...
    I suggest reading it thru...and printing out a reference copy before proceeding...

Best of Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

indogo

Rookie

Re: BSOD on windows 2000 pro
      « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:39:45 AM »
      All I really want to do it boot this thing enough to get pictures off of it.

So neither 2000 or ME will boot...if its an older machine this could be early signs of hard drive failure so perhaps you should consider using a live linux/recovery disk to get at your files instead.
      Using recovery console as you suggest could work if the error can be fixed by the literal replacement of \windows\system32\drivers\sbp2port.sys or even using a recovery disk as mentioned...note that renaming sbp2port.sy_ to sbp2port.cab then means it can be extracted in windows or linux.

good luck

mike