Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Becomes UNUSABLE When ONE Student Goes on it.  (Read 5329 times)

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Internet Becomes UNUSABLE When ONE Student Goes on it.
    « on: September 22, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »
    I have Virgin 50mb broadband, so that can't be the problem.

My family has foreign students. We live in England. There is one from Turkey, one from Thailand and one from Columbia. They all use the wireless internet on their laptops. I use it on mine, and my mum uses it on the computer. When I'm on it, and my mum is on, it is fine. We can do whatever we want (I play Xbox LIVE connected through my laptop to the internet most of the time) and it won't lag. At all.

The second one of our students logs on, it slows down tremendously. Even if my mum goes off the internet, and I do the smallest of things, it is horribly laggy. If I try to play Xbox, I get booted out within 3 seconds because of my connection (and this is coming from someone who is ALWAYS picked as host by the game because of his good connection). It must be something to do with my students, but what?

They are not downloading torrents, or opening up 100000 videos at the same time. If all three go on at the same time, the internet gets so slow it is impossible to use. Not just my Xbox, but I cannot even do a Google search, while they can do whatever they like with no problems.

I really do need help. They have to be allowed inernet access, and I need it for schoolwork (I really need to research for my GCSEs).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Internet Becomes UNUSABLE When ONE Student Goes on it.
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 10:29:33 AM »
    is it possible their laptops are infected with worms or malware? That would be my first guess.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
      It was my first guess too. They all have their own antivirus, and I ran MBAM on all of them. Nothing found.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
      A good wireless router will allow equal sharing of bandwidth. What router are you using?

1two3

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »
        D-Link DIR-615