Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win 7 slow shutting down  (Read 2716 times)

Ladynat999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Win 7 slow shutting down
    « on: October 14, 2010, 05:21:14 AM »
    Hi,

I've recently replaced the harddrive in my Alienware M15X Notebook and have just finished installing everything back onto it. However, I am experiencing a slow shutdown now (about 2 mins) when it was pretty quick before - even when it was full of crap.

I have found a previous post where the advice was as follows:

Make sure "clear pagefile at shutdown" is not enabled:
    start - run - regedit
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0

2) Start - Run - Regedit
    Navigate to the following Registry key:
    HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    Double click on the AutoEndTasks entry and replace the 0 with a 1 in the Value data text box

For the next two, if the dword value indicated does not exist, create it:

Double click on the WaitToKillAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 2000

Double click on the HungAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 1000

Reboot

3) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    Right-click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change it to 2000

However, my system doesn't have a 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' entry or a 'HungAppTimout' entry at all!

The 'WaitToKillServiceTimout' entry was set to 20000 so I have changed it to 2000.

HELP!!!!

Could it be something to do with a driver not installed correctly or a missing driver? (I got the drivers from my driver disc that came with the Laptop and on the Dell website).

lostcoast

Hopeful
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Win 7 slow shutting down
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:58:53 AM »
    HI,

Driver disks are often outdated drivers so the Dell website has updated drivers. Be sure you have the latest installed, especially Chipset.  Chipset drivers are often overlooked with new installs of windows.
    I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Ladynat999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
      I downloaded the latest drivers from the Dell website. The thing is, before my hard drive broke I had the older drivers and I never had a problem shutting down.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »
      Don't worry about the registry entries you don't have. On a new install I'm more concerned with WHY you have the problem than with registry changes.

1) As suggested above, did you install all drivers including the chipset driver?
      2) Are you experiencing ANY other anomalies with the system?
      3) Try a clean boot (msconfig - selective startup - disable everything from loading and reboot). Then shut down. What happens?