Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD replacement???  (Read 3646 times)

stasik

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    HDD replacement???
    « on: October 27, 2010, 07:32:19 PM »
    Hello

I have a HP dv 1659 laptop. I was looking to replace my current drive with Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS Mobile Hard Drive - 500GB, 2.5", 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM(0.002 lbs) (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4434267&sku=TMD-500AS2).

Does anyone know if there are any compatibility issues? I believe the current drive is a SATA1, not sure if the new drive would be backward compatible???

Device manager informs me the current drive is Fujitsu MHV2100BH (spec http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822116018)

I also remember hearing issues with large partitions support e.g computer wont recognize the drive if it's over  a certain size.

I am running windows XP sp3.

Also looking to get a Seagate Go Flex 1tb portable drive.

It has been too long since i tinkered with computers :(

Thanks in advance!!!

S

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HDD replacement???
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:49:15 AM »
    It has been too long since i tinkered with computers :(

Well, I would suggest that you don't do it. If you feel the need for additional storage on your computer, consider using an external storage device. An excellent choice would be a wireless storage server that could serve not just your laptop but other computer having your house.
    And you can improve hard drive performance of your laptop by offloading files you seldom use on to the external storage.
    Of course, that is my personal opinion. I tinker with computers all the time, and I don't like the idea of taking out my laptop hard drive and replacing it. Yes, I've done it, but I think the drive you have in the laptop is more than adequate for your day-to-day needs. If you somehow need a lot more performance and storage, you should not be using a laptop anyway.
    In my opinion, of course. ;D

OpenSource

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
      Hi stastik, just curious as to the reason behind the HDD replacement?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 02:35:37 PM »
      There will be zero issues replacing the drive you have with the drive you selected...

However since it's a laptop i'd suggest getting one of these:

Then hook both laptop drives up to a Desktop machine...use the Free software from the NEW HDD manuf. site to "clone" the old drive to the new drive...install it and you should be good to go...

BTW it's called a 2.5" laptop to IDE connector when you go shopping...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

stasik

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 03:37:31 PM »
        If you somehow need a lot more performance and storage, you should not be using a laptop anyway.
        I have to travel and move a lot (like really a lot), having a desktop is a dream, lol =) I might be able to settle down more or less in about a year.

Hi stastik, just curious as to the reason behind the HDD replacement?
        Reason is
        A. Running out of space on both my laptop 100gb drive and 2x external 320GB drives (I am also running out of USB ports, lol)
        B. Need to backup data from all drives lol =) THat's why I also wanted the 1tb seagate.

Do I really need all the space? Probably not, I just want the "space" problem solved for a really long time =)

There will be zero issues replacing the drive you have with the drive you selected...
        THX for confirming the choice. As for the connector, like I mentioned, I do not have a desktop ATM. I was thinking of backing up all the stuff from my current drive (like actual data) onto an external disk, replacing the drive, then doing a fresh reinstall. What I could do is use my 3.5" external enclosure for that.

Optimally I would get a 1TB laptop drive for all my needs and another 1TB drive to serve as backup, but I could not find a 1tb Seagate. For some reason the only drives that I have that ever failed are from western digital, so I do not trust them.

Thoughts?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »
        ...1.  As for the connector, like I mentioned, I do not have a desktop ATM. I was thinking of backing up all the stuff from my current drive (like actual data) onto an external disk, replacing the drive, then doing a fresh reinstall. What I could do is use my 3.5" external enclosure for that.
        2.  Optimally I would get a 1TB laptop drive for all my needs and another 1TB drive to serve as backup, but I could not find a 1tb Seagate. For some reason the only drives that I have that ever failed are from western digital, so I do not trust them.
        Thoughts?
        1.  You don't use that adapter with a SATA drive, it's for an ATA (IDE) drive.
        2.  I've had no more problems with Western Digital than with Seagate.  1TB is a lot, I'd prefer 2-500GB in case one fails.  For external USB drives with a laptop, stick with 2.5" drives rather than 3.5" drives, which always require a power adapter.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »
        I still think he is a customer for a wireless hard drive.
        Like this:
        1.5 TB Imation Pro WX Wireless USB Hard Drive
        http://www.storage-switzerland.com/Blog/Entries/2010/2/26_Imation_Pro_WX_Wireless_USB_Hard_Drive.html

Note. A wireless USB drive is NOT a LAN storage device. It only works with one computer. Great for a laptop where you want some freedom of movement. Like laying in bed watching a movie. Read the article.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »
        They make the same connector for SATA laptop drives as well...
        That just happens to be a Pic of the old style...Nice catch CC...
        As far as installing Windows onto an external HDD then putting the drive in the laptop you may find out the hard way that the machine will not boot up...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:30:20 PM »
        They make the same connector for SATA laptop drives as well...
        That just happens to be a Pic of the old style...Nice catch CC...
        As far as installing Windows onto an external HDD then putting the drive in the laptop you may find out the hard way that the machine will not boot up...
        True.

SATA  drive to IDE Ribbon converter.
        http://www.cooldrives.com/lib/cooldrives/P71247663.jpg

stasik

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:35 AM »
          The wireless USB seems like a great idea, but it's bloody expensive =)

I believe I'll go with 1tb internal WD, and 1tb external Seagate go Flex.

Thanks very much to all!!!