Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New computer losing time, windows close in segment  (Read 2386 times)

Dane_Crazy

New computer losing time, windows close in segment
« on: August 03, 2005, 11:04:20 AM »
My daughter has a brand new Dell 3000 running Windows XP.  The computer is consistently losing time over a period of days and when she closes out different windows, they close in fragments.  Sometimes leaving fragments on the screen, making her reboot to clear them.  Her old computer, a clone that I built, consistently lost time also.  I replaced three CMOS batteries in that machine over a period of one year.  She is using the same power strip.  Not an APS strip, just a normal power strip.  Could this strip be causing the problem?  Could the electric power going into the house be fluctuating and causing the problem? She's ready to ditch this new Dell the same way he ditched the perfectly good clone simply because she thinks she has trash computers.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm running out of ideas.  Thanks.

Raptor

Re: New computer losing time, windows close in seg
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 02:09:40 PM »
Does she completely unpower the machine when she turns it off by unplugging it from the power grid?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 03:03:48 PM »
    Computers were never designed to be clocks, I'm yet to find one that keeps good time.
    If your talking about just a minute a day or less then there's nothing wrong with it.
    Your frafments are a different problem.
    Tell us more?

Dane_Crazy

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 06:36:00 PM »
    She leaves it run most of the time but when she does turn it off, she simply pushes the on/off button but does not unplug anything.

I think that a clock losing a minute or two occasionally is not a big deal.  That isn't my main concern.  It's the fact that this has happened on two totally different computers, this one now is a brand new one, and I've had several computers that I've not had to change out a CMOS battery in four years.  Her last computer I had to replace the batter three times in one year.

My main concern is the fact that when she starts closing windows, it's like they disappear in squares, one at a time altho sometimes they close perfectly normal, but when they close, it's like they kind of "dissolve" from the screen instead of just a clean "zap" and they're gone. Sometimes, a small square, say about 2 inches x 2 inches, will stay on the desktop and in order to get it go away altogether, she has to reboot.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 08:02:08 PM »
    Has she used software that has been installed on both PCs?

I suggest that you immediatly do a thorough scan for viruses, spyware and trojan horses.

Try disabeling the auto synchronization of the clock and see if that will help keep time. Perhaps the clock is trying to synchronize with a server that is not functiong properly.

Virus scanners
    AVG Free
    -- Anti virus scanner
    Trend Micro Housecall
    -- Online anti virus scanner.

Anti spy/malware
    Microsoft Antispyware
    -- Anti spyware scanner. Windows XP Home and Professional only.
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    -- Anti spyware scanner
    Adaware SE Personal
    -- Anti spyware scanner

Firewalls
    Use both a hardware and software firewall.
    Be advised as dual software firewalls may cause problems

ZoneAlarm Free
    -- Free firewall - more user friendly
    Sygate Personal
    -- Free firewall - more configuration options

Removal tools
    The following files are not substitutes for the ones described above.
    They are either diagnostic tools or removal tools for malware of a certain kind

HijackThis
    -- Manual malware remover. Post the HijackThis log generated only if requested!
    McAfee Stinger
    -- Virus removal tool. No substitute for a fully functional virus scanner!
    CWshredder
    -- CoolWebSearch removal tool. Widely known and persistant Hijacker.