Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drops connection and does not allways connect  (Read 2436 times)

stevener11

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Drops connection and does not allways connect
    « on: November 05, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »
    Hello,  One of my computers is a 5 year old HP All-In-One running Vista with a internal Wireless Card.  I have a Netgear N router that connects to a cable modem.  The HP looses the connection.  On
    reboot, it sometimes connects.  When I go to Network Places and click on Connect, I receive an Alert Box that asks me to Connect the Cat 5 Cable.  All the other Wireless items  in my home connect just great.  The HP is only 20 Feet Away.  Do I need a new Wireless Network Card and is their a way to test the one in the HP?  Thanks
    SBE

joe3fl

Rookie

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Drops connection and does not allways connect
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »
    If you are using wireless only you should disable the wired adapter in device manager. However at 20 feet away maybe you should just run a cable and get better speeds than wireless, if possible. As for the wireless card I an inclined to think that is the problem if other wireless devices work fine. You can always buy one and try it for a few days. Most stores allow hardware to be returned within 14 to 30 days so if that doesn't fix the problem you can take it back.

stevener11

Topic Starter

Beginner
      Re: Drops connection and does not allways connect
      « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »
      Thanks.
      SBE