Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: User account keeps logging off?  (Read 11628 times)

The Nightingale

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    User account keeps logging off?
    « on: October 27, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »
    I've just created a new "standard user" account for myself for work-only. I created it following the usual steps in Vista "User Accounts." Once I'd created it I logged off. Then I was left with the welcoming screen and my accounts (two admin and one standard "work" account.) When I clicked on the new account it started loading and then said "logging off." I tried a few times and no change. It won't let me access it. The other two accounts work perfectly fine.

How do I fix this?

Any help would be appreciated. I need access to this account pretty promptly.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: User account keeps logging off?
      « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:23 PM »
      Try logging in as an admin / delete the standard user account and recreate another. Could be that account is corrupted.

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

The Nightingale

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:45:28 PM »
        Thanks - I tried that and I still have the same problem.

It did say "preparing desktop" and then it just logged me off again.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:42:25 AM »
        This is from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929825/en-us

Create a system restore point before you try this.

When you try to log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using an account that does not have administrative permissions, you briefly receive a "Welcome" message, and then you receive a "Logging off" message.
        This issue occurs if the Userinit key in the Windows registry has been modified.

1. Log on to the computer as an administrator or by using an account that has administrative permissions.
        2. Start Registry Editor. To do this, click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
        3. Click Continue.
        4. Locate and then click the following registry key:
             HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
        5. In the right pane, right-click Userinit, and then click Modify.
        6. In the Value data box, type hard_disk:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, and then click OK.
            Note The hard_disk placeholder refers to the disk on which Windows Vista is installed.
        7. Close Registry Editor.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

11feisters

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:13:03 PM »
        my computer is doing the same thing. it logs on for about 2 seconds then immediately logs off, the only problem is i only have the administrative account so i cant get into my computer at all.. any advice?