Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How do I get rid of Multiple versions of the OS ?  (Read 3236 times)

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

How do I get rid of Multiple versions of the OS ?
    « on: November 17, 2010, 10:53:27 PM »
    I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 on a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD
    Some weeks ago I had a problem of computer not booting, giving a message "could not find Operating system" or something like that (don't remember precisely).  HDD was working fine (tested with Seagate disk tools for DOS) so thought MBR might be corrupt.  Tried to use installation CD to repair/restore the MBR but instead it installed a completely new version of XP Pro alongside the old.  I did that twice !!!
    Then the original version of XP started working fine and so I edited Boot.ini to remove the no-longer-needed choice of the two new versions of XP Pro.  Everything works fine except I now have three sets of "Windows" folders:  "Windows", "Windows 0" and "Windows 1" and three sets of Documents and Settings, etc., etc., so I am wasting space with all these extra versions of the OS and worry about implications of all that clutter.  How can I get rid of the two unneeded versions of XP without interrupting my good and trusted primary version and all its associated Documents and Settings ?
    a

tom han

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: How do I get rid of Multiple versions of the OS ?
      « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 11:46:04 PM »
      You edited the boot.ini that's fine it will remove windows from boot menu but it will not delete windows in this case you need to format you drive completely in which all windows resides and reinstall a complete new copy.

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 01:16:05 AM »
        you need to format you drive completely in which all windows resides and reinstall a complete new copy.

Thanks.  That's exactly what I would like to avoid, I have too much invested in my "good" version of XP.  There's no such thing as an "uninstall" for a whole OS I suppose.  Is there any danger in living with it as it is ?
        a

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:47:33 AM »
        Just boot to the version of Windows you want to keep and delete the other two Windows Folders from within Windows Explorer. Don't worry, Windows will not let you delete the OS which is running.
        « Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:57:37 AM by Allan »

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:06:49 AM »
          Thanks Allan.  I'll try that.
          a

ringbinder

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:32:38 AM »
            Not entirely successful.  There are two stubborn Flash9 files in one of the unwanted System32 folders which deny access whenever I try to delete them or change their attributes to delete them.  Not a big deal I suppose but there's a whole tree of empty folders to support those two files.  I guess I am a bit of a tidy freak and want to get that cleaned up.  Ho-hum !!
            a

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:37 AM »
            Try taking ownership (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421). If that doesn't work, try unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/)

oneil

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »
              i think you should get HIRENS CD to clean the other XPs

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »
              Feel free to ignore the above post.