Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Realtime Bandwidth Usage Tracking  (Read 2296 times)

kaigun

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Realtime Bandwidth Usage Tracking
    « on: November 16, 2010, 09:03:15 AM »
    My ISP has a 25gb monthly limit for my account level. Every month we are banging up against the limit at the end of the month, some more than others. This month we are already at 19gb and the month is only half over. We have four people using three computers plus game consoles that are sometimes online too.

The ISP provides a tool to total monitor bandwidth usage but it is not in real time. Is there something that I can use that will show usage in real time and also show usage by individual machine so I can get a handle on who is using the most bandwidth?

My router is a Linksys WTR120N. It is secured with WPA2.

And yes, the ISP does offer plans with higher bandwidth limits, but that is not financially feasible right now.     

Kip

Apprentice

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Realtime Bandwidth Usage Tracking
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 09:41:06 AM »
    Two programs that I have used are NetLimiter Monitor and NetWorx (both are free).

These programs track the internet usage on the computer they are installed on so they need to be installed on each computer.

An advantage that NetLimiter has is that it can track bandwidth usage for each individual program.

Some advantages to NetWorx are that it can track "On-peak", "Off-peak", and "Unmetered" hours and that it can synchronize the usage total between the computers.  (I have not tried the synchronizing feature yet.)

I do not know how you could monitor the game consoles.
    Happiness is not getting what you want, it is wanting what you get.

kaigun

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Realtime Bandwidth Usage Tracking
      « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:46:53 AM »
      Thanks. That's something to get me going on.