Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Blue screen of death and lost WU?  (Read 16174 times)

macabdul

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Blue screen of death and lost WU?
« on: November 14, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »
Hi, I'm running the GPU3 beta client on a GTX285 with an Intel i5 running at 3.2GH.

I'm really asking if I've lost my WU or any way to get it back but bare with me.

If I do nothing else with the computer but run the client I have no problems. I can run HFM monitor as well, no problem but lately if I open any programs which would want to use the GPU I get a blue screen  with the message that file nv4_disp has caused a problem.

It does this if I open an online MMO I play while running the client but also if I try to run the special nVidia viewer.

I've not changed anything on the computer nor updated any drivers.

I can live with this as I simply leave the computer when folding but here's the thing.

I'd paused the WU on 88% and then got the blue screen. Usually when I come back it starts folding from where it left off but this time it started a new WU.

I've attached the FAHlog of the original WU, the shutdown and the 2nd WU. Can I get that WU back?

Any help appreciated.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Blue screen of death and lost WU?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:37:31 AM »
Open when the computer restarts abnormally (crashes) the WU will be lost. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware there is no way to recover a WU once lost. :( So will have to restart the WU. Wouldn't happen to have any additional information on the Blue Screen would you? Unfortunately the log just shows the overall progress and not any crash details.

Also, I noticed you have no F@H icon. I've updated your profile to also now have that. Thanks for the participation you have done thus far.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

macabdul

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 05:03:22 AM »
Will force the error tonight once I get in from work and give a few more details. Is it worth bugging it as isn't the GPU3 client a beta client?

And thanks for the folding icon. I also thought I had the SBCC icon but it seems to have disappeared.

macabdul

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »
This is the message on the blue screen when I have the GPU3 beta client running and try to use the nVidia viewer. It also happens if I run, for instance, an online MMO, City of Heroes. Strangely, if I run the nVidia viewer without running the client the crash doesn't happen. The viewer runs but some of the info and background it would usually have is missing but it doesn't cause the error. Anyway, here's the message on the blue screen -

------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problems with the device itself or with the device driver programming the device incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000EA (0x89438020, 0x8A32C1C8, 0xB84FBCBC, 0x0000001)

nv4_disp
Beginning dump of physical memory
Dumping physical memory to disk: 1

-------------------------

The number at the end there counts up and not sure for how long and can't do anything else but press reset. The file nv4_disp is a graphic driver.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:38:32 PM by macabdul »

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
Regarding the SBCC icon, you can add that yourself now by editing the profile. During the forum upgrade that happened a few months ago I had to reset the icons.

About the blue screen. The nv4_disp, is definitely affiliated with your video card, I assume you're not overclocking the system and haven't changed any settings in the CMOS (BIOS).

Here are some things I'd suggest.

1. Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers. Even if you've updated a month ago, verify you're up-to-date. They often update at least once a month.

2. Enter the CMOS setup (F1/F2 at boot) and look to see if there is an option to reset or restore the settings to the default values. From what I've read there are several settings in CMOS that can cause this issue to occur and having the default factory settings will help verify this is not the cause.

3. Enter the Device Manager and make sure no "Other devices" or devices with X's or ?'s exist.

4. Finally, if you continue to encounter the same issues even after verifying the above, we may be dealing with a hardware issue. But lets hope that the drivers resolve everything for you.

Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein