Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox - websites suddenly don't work  (Read 3475 times)

Teresa01

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Firefox - websites suddenly don't work
    « on: November 19, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
    Last night, my internet was fine until suddenly websites started to stop working. First google (Down as my homepage) wouldn't work, then Hotmail and Facebook and deviantart.

I sit on a white screen or on the previous page until finally it says that the connection has timed out. Yet at brief moments it has been okay but then i go back later and again it won't connect.

And from the looks of it, with these problem pages, the router isn't even trying to load them. When it's loading a page, the DSL and Internet lights flash to show it's connecting, but stay green when it's not doing anything, and that's what it does on pages i try to load. I tried the same websites on the desktop computer and they work fine. A moment ago I used facebook, and now it's not loading it at all

I've system restored twice and used both malware bytes and super antispyware and neither found any viruses that i thought might be causing the problem. Please help.  :-\

maxlcm

Re: Firefox - websites suddenly don't work
    « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
    I don't know what systems you are using, i.e. xp, vista etc. Are you wireless? If so check your connections, I run xp , go to start  click and then click connectors, this will show if you are getting a signal from your router.
    You may need to reconnect, their should be a box in wireless connections where you can click repair.
    Another thing is if you have a back up browser such as Internet Explorer try that, I use I.E. but have had trouble in the past, so I keep fire fox as aback up so I can get on line and fix I.E. hope this helps

Teresa01

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »
      whoop sorry. I'm on windows vista home basic and yes it's wireless. I've checked the connection and it says it's connected, and no issues found. The sites keep coming back then going again then back. It only started happening yesterday. I tried internet explorer and that too was hit and miss. 

Thank you for replying and trying to help  ;)

laurie

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
      I have this happen all the time as well. The problem isn't with your computer, or the connection. The network that your modem is connected simply goes offline on a regular basis. To fix this you must reset your router by unplugging it.

Wait about 2 minutes, and plug it back in.

The modem will connect slowly after a 1-minute delay. Then simply go back to your wireless icon to the right corner of your screen and disconnect. Then reconnect.

And viola! Your connection will be "alive" again.

Teresa01

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:06:54 AM »
        Thank you it's working correctly now  :-*

rubyleech

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
        Haha this is such a common, but simple error.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »
        Haha this is such a common, but simple error.
        Thanks for your input.