Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't delete "Alot" toolbar  (Read 8178 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

can't delete "Alot" toolbar
    « on: November 16, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
    Hi everyone,

I am having a problem in deleting the "Alot "toolbar from Firefox.  I have decided I don't want this toolbar and have found out it is probably hiding somewhere which is making it difficult to delete.  I have tried the following and the "Alot" toolbar did not show up anywhere so it could be deleted. 

1.  It does not show up in Add or Remove programs from the control panel..
    2.  It does not show up if I click on "My Computer" on the desk top and then double   click C: drive>double click Program Files and look for the "Alot"folder.  It is not there.
    3  It does not show up if I click on "Start">"Run">type in "regedit"> "enter". Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-\Software\ALOT Toolbar and delete.  It is not there either.
    4. It does not show up if I click on Firefox tools>add ons>delete.  It doesn't show up there either.
    5. It doesn't show up in Crap Cleaner's tools section that has an uninstaller.  It is not listed there either.

The toolbar is definitely there on Firefox and it works. What else/where else can I look to try and find this file and delete this program.  All the above suggestions came from a google search that indicated all of these suggestions were ways to delete the "Alot" toolbar.  They all indicated that this toolbar hides itself and is very hard to uninstall.  I hope computer help can me get rid of this toolbar.

Thank you,
    beachguy

Windows XP Pro/ SP3

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: can't delete "Alot" toolbar
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
    The toolbar is definitely there
    What are the indications, since it doesn't show up anywhere?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:09 PM »
    Try here --> http://www.pchell.com/support/alot.shtml
    You may need to visit the malware section for guidelines of HJT tool --> http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.msg545905.html#msg545905
    If you are unsure about any associated files(if present) with alot toolbar under HJT. Post it for a malware expert or expert members will guide you...

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
      The "Alot" toolbar is just under the "Google" toolbar  when I open Fire fox.  It looks and works just like any other toolbar you might have such as Yahoo, Ask, Winamp, Google, etc. I don't think it is malware or a virus.  I think it is a legitimate toolbar,but I just don't need it.  I don't think it needs a HJT scan and analysis,  unless you can tell me that the "Alot" toolbar actually does fall into a malware or virus catagory.  Does It?

Thanks,
      beachguy

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:12:46 AM »
      You have actually posted a lot of info. about the toolbar not located on certain locations where it should be...uninstalled.
      How come you ask then that it does not even qualify to be suspicious or found under HJT tool? Would it hurt to follow atleast to know...?

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
        My thought was, if the "Alot" toolbar is really something that is harmful(spyware.virus etc) the moderators of this forum are expert enough to already be aware of that, and inform me of that if that is the case rather than run the test.  That is what I was thinking. So far Broni hasn't said that. In all the information I previously listed on how to get rid of it, nothing was said about it being malicious, just hard to delete.

Thanks,
        beachguy

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
          I just put "Alot" toolbar into... Start>Search>C: drive> hidden folders/files, and it did show up there and I was able to delete it.  I am still curious as to whether or not it is anything malicious, and why it would not show up in any of the places previously listed so it could just be deleted from there.  Oh well, problem solved and maybe someone else will be able to use this info also.

Thanks,
          beachguy

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
          The toolbar is not malicious, but I'd call it at least unwanted guest.
          More info: http://www.pchell.com/support/alot.shtml

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »
          The toolbar is not malicious, but I'd call it at least unwanted guest.
          To Broni 8) --> http://www.spywareremove.com/removeALOTToolbar.html
          I am not sure about this claim though. But a behavior of being intrusive, redirecting is something to look at especially on trusted zones or sites.