Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Get attention?  (Read 46484 times)

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
    • PIC Programming New Zealand
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Get attention?
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:12:23 AM »
Hi everyone xD
I've just (nearly) finished programming an online market simulator game (access it at www.vcp.co.nz). I think it's pretty good, I've been working on it since may, and it's won a couple of awards now (local science fair/New Zealand national technology fair) and been nominated for a couple of others. I'm just looking at getting people to use it and then tell me their thoughts - i have about 50 users now, controlling 100 companies. There is no real FAQ yet but its very straightforward to play, uses basic economics principles in managing a company and playing a stock market.
If you want to register, its completely free as well as being ad-free and low on the bandwidth. I made the entire thing in programmers notepad in php, and one of my friends did all the pictures in photoshop. It's just a MUD, but it'd be awesome to get peoples opinions.

And also, criticism is more than welcome - if you think it could be improved, TELL ME.
Cheers

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Get attention?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 04:42:03 AM »
Just tried it out, good work, seems pretty similar to those old HTML/server-based games that seemed to be popular a while ago (no idea if they are now)

Only problems I could see are mostly cosmetic; statistics page has a white bg (probably should be black), a few places where HTML entities show up (the side bar says &nbsp; -> <company name> when you expand it, but again I imagine this is all being tweaked.

You might want to make the terms and conditions more serious... although, come to think of it, my blog privacy policy makes me a hypocrite by saying that. :P

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Bones92

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Website Designer and Microcontroller Programmer
    • PIC Programming New Zealand
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Get attention?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:15:40 PM »
Yeah thats a firefox problem, the &nbsp - none of the other browsers (chrome, opera, ie, safari) have it as so far as I know (i test with chrome, opera, and IE, beta testers report safari/firefox stuff). I haven't fixed that just yet. I left the statistics backcolor white and the news backcolor grey to differentiate between those and the actual gameplay.

Thanks for the feedback though :D