Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Usb and permission  (Read 4949 times)

Redcaa

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• [Insert Personal Text]
    • Experience: Beginner
    Windows 7 Usb and permission
    « on: November 08, 2010, 03:58:47 PM »
    I'm very new to Windows 7, having used Windows XP for a long time. So I have no clue about anything. I plugged in my external USB device, a window appeared saying that, do I want to scan the USB device for problems and fix them (Cksum or something). So I was unsure whether to do the scan or not
    because the USB device worked perfectly on another (XP) computer. So I said no and carried on, autoplay came I selected show in folder. It did.

Problems:

-Ico file didn't show up (viewed as thumbnails)
    -When I tried to open a folder it said i didn't have admin permissions (I only have one account and it has admin facilities) so then it said to go to the security tab I did and when to the screen where you can choose who has what rights. I checked all boxes for E:/, like Write, Read, Edit and stuff but then a load of popups come saying that the USB is corrupted so it could not save the changes. On Windows XP it works fine.

I don't want to scan and fix the problems because I'm worried whether or not after these fixes it would work on XP.

Thank you very  much :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Windows 7 Usb and permission
    « Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »
    The problems do exist. Fix them.

It works fine with XP because XP:

-doesn't care wether the device works or not. It just accesses it. You have to scan it manually.
    -XP doesn't include a very usable implementation of Limited User Accounts and doesn't have it set to the default. Therefore most people are always running as admin. with Windows Vista and 7 nobody is ever running as an admin (at least not without making a number of changes).

With Windows Vista/7, when you log in, if you are logging in to an "administrator" account, it strips off all the admin rights from the token, and all the programs you run start by default with that token.

When you need administrative permission to do something, such as change a setting, or if a program tries to start itself as an admin, with UAC enabled you are prompted (if the scenario fits with your UAC options). If you then answer Yes, or If it doesn't fit your UAC options (win 7) or if you simply have it disabled, then Windows just shrugs it's shoulders, creates a new Logon token that includes your administrative accesses, and launches the process/launches the process again under that account.

This is where the majority of confusion about UAC comes from. People complain that they cannot access certain files and folders, and then attest that "it says that I don't have permission but I'm the admin *sniffle*", when truly they aren't the admin and simply don't understand the new scheme. (again, not without tweaks, anyway).

The proper solution when this occurs with a USB drive of any description is to take ownership of the folders in question. As you note you've essentially tried that. Not sure why you needed the security tab for that, for me I simply right-click the folder and choose "take ownership" (actually, that's a lie; usually I never need that option because windows prompts me when it's required).

Basically, the issue? the stick is corrupted. Just because XP seems to use it with no problem doesn't mean there aren't any; it doesn't perform any sort of automatic checking to the stick as Vista/7 do.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Redcaa

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• [Insert Personal Text]
      Re: Windows 7 Usb and permission
      « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »
      Okk, bump D:<

So I got the usb fixed, well I ran chkdsk :D And now it doesn't say that the usb has any errors of any sort now :)

However I still have the same problem, I can't open exe or any other folders. The icon thing was another issue. I tried to change the permission settings alot however things weren't any different.

I looked up online and someone had said to download this partition table, and I have no clue what that's about. Lol.