Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remote  (Read 3290 times)

Zync

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Remote
    « on: November 23, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
    I was hoping that someone could give me a good suggestion for an RDP program that I could load into my Windows PE tool disk I'm developing.

I was leaning towards realVNC but I haven't used it much before other than through labtec.  I have a guinea pig computer hooked up to the repair bench I was going to try installing the VNC server on, but the problem is that i've got the bench hooked up to a different network than my shop PC (where I installed the VNC viewer on).  I would have to open a port on the watchguard firebox and VNC would have to do a forward DNS lookup on our company's server and I would have to open a port to listen for the VNC.  I guess my question is:  Does realVNC do forwards DNS lookups or is it restricted to an IP address?

Sounds like a pain.  I would love to know if maybe there's a possibility of using logmein or something on my windows PE disk.  Sorry for the rambling, but I'm writing my thoughts as I go.
    « Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:11:22 PM by Zync »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Remote
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:37:26 PM »
    Have you used realVNC?

From the documentation:
    Networking
    VNC software requires a TCP/IP connection between the server and the viewer. This is the standard networking protocol on LANs, WANs, broadband and dialup ISP. Each computer has a unique IP address and may also have a name in the DNS. You will need to know the IP address or name of the server when you connect a viewer to it.

Sometimes the IP address is fixed, and sometimes it is issued to you dynamically by your ISP. If it is allocated dynamically, you might consider using a third party DNS management service. Try typing "dynamic dns management service" into a google.
    From this one would learn that the program does use DNS where needed.
    Or am I not understanding this?

PPowerHouseK

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:05:04 AM »
    The best solution for you seems like Teamviewer, I use it quite often and its really a cinch to connect to many different computers. You can get it here: www.Teamviewer.com

Zync

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 07:01:11 AM »
      I actually havent gotten around to trying it yet, I was just hoping someone would confirm that it does resolve DNS names so I can break outside of the local network.  I will let you know later.

Thanks powerhouse, I will try teamviewer.  I'm just looking for something very lightweight.

Zync

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:32:41 AM »
        Have you used realVNC?

From the documentation:From this one would learn that the program does use DNS where needed.
        Or am I not understanding this?

I think what I'll do is create a virtual machine on my computer, assign it a static IP and create a rule in the firewall that will open a port for VNC.  Then install the server in PE and the viewer in the virtual machine so I can connect.  *crosses fingers*