Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replace HDD for NEC S800  (Read 4580 times)

csmc

Replace HDD for NEC S800
« on: August 07, 2005, 07:19:01 AM »
I have trouble in replacing the HDD for my NEC Versa S800.  Previously using Toshiba MK4004GAH 1.8" HDD, after HDD failure, I've bought a replacement MK4006GAH 1.8" HDD.  Nightmare begin!
I've plugged the HDD to my laptop, boot with 98 bootdisk, I could only see a cursor flashing with the harddisk light on.  After around 2 mins, bootdisk start booting, seems normal.  But then it said hard disk does not have a valid FAT / FAT32 partition.  It seems normal too!

But actually, I've tried all the followings:

- create primary partition and format the HDD (FAT32) by WinXP before putting it into my laptop.

- create primary active partition and format the HDD (FAT32) by PQ Magic.

- tried fdisk or even fdisk /mbr after bootup with 98 bootdisk.  but "error reading fixed disk" error occurred.

- tried using nec recovery cd failed.

- checked BIOS and found that the HDD can be recognized.

- tried directly install WinXP with WinXP installation disk, but failed also.

I'm sure the HDD is an health one, since the shop sales has replaced me a 2nd one.  But same problem still occur.

I've ask a technician from nec and he said that my HDD is an MP3 HDD which is not a bootable one.  I'm not sure whether he said is correct or not.  When I view the partition information by PQ Magic, I found the HDD have Master Boot Records.  But now it just cannot be accessed by any boot media.

I've found similar problem in a japanese web site, but still no hope!

See if anyone could explain.

Many thanks!

Raptor

Re: Replace HDD for NEC S800
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 08:16:17 AM »
Why not simply try /Format C: when using the Bootdisk?

csmc

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 09:14:08 AM »
But a valid partition cannot be detected after boot from a:, there only exist a c: which is a ram drive created by the boot disk.

csmc

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 09:35:32 AM »
Actually, i don't know why the HDD can be detected by Bios, but cannot not be recognized after boot by bootdisk.

You know, even an HDD is not partitioned and formatted, it should be recognized after bootdisk boot.  But now, this just can't be.

Now when I start my laptop with win98 bootdisk, I can see nothing but the flashing cursor for nearly 2 mins.  Then the "Starting Windows 98 ..." starts.

But when I put back the old problematic HDD back into it, the "Starting Windows 98 ..." show immediately after power on.

I've asked the NEC technician that whether there is Bios settings which restrict any new installed HDD.  He said no.  He just said this type of HDD is for MP3 player, so it is not bootable.  I'm not sure whether this is true, since I've search toshiba and some vender web sites that this HDD is actually a replacement of my old one.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 09:39:45 AM »
Is this replacement second hand? It may be failing as well.

Are there any HDD settings you can change in the BIOS?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 09:40:10 AM by Raptor »

csmc

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 09:51:40 AM »
replacement means replacement model, absolutely not second hand.  It 's a new, and the 2nd new i've tried.

No Bios setting i can change regarding the HDD, and it is auto detect.  This Bios is almost the simplest I've ever touched, as other settings only talks about boot sequence, usb mode, date time, boot record virus productection (which is Disabled), power management.  Nothing seems to be related.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 10:10:17 AM »
You can try to do the following:

1. Boot from the Windows XP CD-ROM
2. Reformat the HDD as FAT32
3. As soon as the HDD is reformatted using Windows XP setup, reset or power down the Laptop and remove the Windows XP CD-ROM
4. Insert the OS of your choice (I assume this will be a pre-Windows XP OS, since you are trying to use FAT32)
5. Boot from the OS of your choice CD-ROM (Windows 98SE and higher, I believe)

See if it will now install.. I have tried this once on a Desktop computer when it could not find the HDD, and it worked like a charm.

csmc

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2005, 11:20:35 AM »
Just tried, no luck!  :'(

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 11:23:37 AM »
Actually, i don't know why the HDD can be detected by Bios, but cannot not be recognized after boot by bootdisk.....

I have an idea but need some information.  Can you supply some info on the NEC S800?  Is it a PIII-M-933, that came with a 20GB hard drive?  It is possible that the BIOS will not accurately recognize a hard drive greater than 32GB.

This is not your BIOS, but is the same issue;
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000274.htm

csmc

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 01:05:05 PM »
It seems not related to disk size.  My laptop originally is 30G.  But early this year, HDD failed once.  Then sent to NEC for repair.  New HDD is replaced (Model: MK4004GAH, 40G).  Now this one failed, I myself tried to replace another new HDD (Model: MK4006GAH, 40G).

Both old and new model is identical in regarding the specification.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 02:44:38 PM »
3 hard drive failures in how many years?   It would seem to indicate a computer problem and not a hard drive problem.  Complain to NEC?  It should still be under warranty from earlier this year.