Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Wireless issues  (Read 4303 times)

PhantomD

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop Wireless issues
    « on: December 13, 2010, 02:25:32 AM »
    My laptop cannot connect to the internet, let me tell you what I have tried and then you can tell me I'm stupid and tell me what I should have tried. The switch is turned on, my computer says my drivers are working properly.  I have tried to reset my IP address and everytime I type ipconfig /release it says the requested operation requires evaluation.  I have reset my modem, router, called my cable company.  My laptop works when plugged into my router via Ethernet cable.  My girlfriends computer can hook up to my wireless along with my ps3 and x360.  I have taken my computer to my college where there is open wifi just to make sure, no connection. 

Now there is one thing that might be the cause.  A few days ago my wireless was acting up, they were doing some unscheduled maintenance.  I plugged my computer up directly to my modem, not my router.  It was having some issues connecting, then my computer asked me to ok something and I did, but I don't remember what.  It was able to connect after that.  I am thinking whatever I oked is what changed a setting to my computer where it wont pick up any wireless internet connection.  I am running windows vista, if you need any computer specs past that your going to have to tell me what you need and how I retrieve them. Thank you very much for your time.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Laptop Wireless issues
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:57:31 AM »
    Look in Network Settings in control panel and choose the wireless connection.

PhantomD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 01:44:52 PM »
      It is not showing any wireless networks in the area.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:16:30 PM »
      Does it show any information under the wireless connection.  Mine states to use the program that manages my wireless.

Check to make sure the wireless is not didabled check both the program that runs the wireless and the device manager.

When mine has not been able to find wireless signal I just disable then renable and for some reason it picks it up.
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

PhantomD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 08:13:08 AM »
        No it doesn't list anything, tried restarting my drivers as well as using dell system restore, last thing I have that I have not tried is using a backup disc but I havn't made one for several months so I am going to lose quite a bit of information.

mattphelps

• Video Cable
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 03:27:42 AM »
        It seems your hardware is not picking up any wireless signal although it is working for ethernet. Try to reload your driver for your wireless hardware. If this fails, its time to bring it to your local shop.
        Most of the time, common display problems can be fixed by replacing your video cable.

nicktini

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 05:21:24 PM »
        I'm having similar problem. How do I do disable and re enable it? what are the steps? Thanks in advance for your help.

Slade

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
          Don't jack someone Else's post.  Your issue could be completely different then his even if you think that its not.  ;)

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 10:30:06 AM »
          Don't jack someone Else's post.  Your issue could be completely different then his even if you think that its not.  ;)
          You are the last one who should be telling anyone what to do here.

Slade

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »
            You are the last one who should be telling anyone what to do here.

What!?  I'm only indicating that he should make a separate post so that his can be addressed in the correct manner.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
              Phantom D, Have you tried a "repair" via your Net work connection icon on your task bar? truenorth

Sid

Apprentice
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
                I don't want to be a *censored*, but, is the wifi switched on, and enabled?  Maybe a FN key press or a switch on the side of the laptop somewhere?

Sounds like a hardware issue to me if you've taken it somewhere else and still can't find connections.

Ann 2011

Starter

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »
                  If when you tried to do the ipconfig/release and appeared that it require elevation, it means that you shoud run as administrator, i dont know what kind of operating system you have, try this instead ipconfig/release, try netsh winsock reset and then restart your computer
                  Let me know if that it worked!