Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing a new hard drive  (Read 10176 times)

coyote454

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: installing a new hard drive
    « Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »
    In Device Manager, I tried to update drivers for SATA Raid Controller as well as Raid Interface, but both are shown as current. I ran the Lifeguard Tool again and after a few minutes of inactivity, got this message. 

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4117/badsectors.jpg

Salmon Trout

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »
    Looks like you need to return it...

coyote454

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 02:32:38 PM »
      What is make & model of computer & what does it's BIOS say?  Also, what is the add-on SATA controller make & model.
      _______________________________________ _______________________________________ ___
      The computer is a Gateway 1.8, XP.

The BIOS reads, in part, as follows:
      http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2509/biospart1.jpg
      http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1395/bios2t.jpg
      http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4118/bios3v.jpg

Hopefully this will help.  I'd sure like to believe the HD is working, but is sure looks grim! :(

Could it need an updated BIOS?  This one looks to be from 2002.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »
      The BIOS date is irrelevant....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
      ...The computer is a Gateway 1.8, XP....
      I don't see a model number.  http://support.gateway.com/support/default.aspx
      I don't see the SATA controller make & model number.  Is it a PCI card or something else.

I see nothing in Fresh Diagnose of any use.

You said:  "In Device Manager, I tried to update drivers for SATA Raid Controller as well as Raid Interface, but both are shown as current."
      I suspect you did this from "Update Driver", this never works.  Did you use the CD that came with the SATA card?  If the controller doesn't have the correct drivers, you will get bad sector errors.  Initio does make chips but supplies no drivers to the end user.  They may supply them to Microsoft for inclusion in Windows or to the makers of the card.  If the card came with no CD and Windows supplies the driver, the drive is bad.  Bad sector test is a bad sign, but add-on controller must be ruled out first.  I have a P3 with add-on controller so have dealt with these issues before.  However, I have other PC's with onboard SATA & a USB to SATA adapter.

coyote454

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
        Your assumption that I used "Update Driver" was correct.  There was no CD that came with the SATA card and all indications seem that the HD must be defective. 

I checked with MS and found this unit is compatible with Windows XP, and with the DVD working fine with the SATA card, it would seem the card isn't the problem.

Looks like this HD was a DOA.

Thanks for the help.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »
        If the SATA card is SATA-1 you'll need to set the SATA-1 jumper on the drive. That's all I can think of.

There is clearly an error there, though, given the "error"(red circle with a line) icon being overlaid atop the standard drive icon.

Your assumption that I used "Update Driver" was correct.  There was no CD that came with the SATA card and all indications seem that the HD must be defective. 

I checked with MS and found this unit is compatible with Windows XP, and with the DVD working fine with the SATA card, it would seem the card isn't the problem.

Looks like this HD was a DOA.

Thanks for the help.

your line of reasoning is a post hoc fallacy. Not being able to access the drive may or may not have to do with the card; there is no way you could possibly know for sure that the SATA card is fully compatible with the HD; the only way to confirm the HD is a "dud" is to actually connect it to a computer whose SATA connections are known to work with Hard Drives. The fact that the DVD works is purely consequential; Most DVD drives work in SATA-1 mode, whereas newer Hard drives work in SATA-2 mode at least, and you would need to place a jumper on the drive in order for it to work with a SATA-1 controller.

Additionally, while it is certainly by design that the card identifies as a SCSI device, one cannot conclude that it being identified as a SCSI device is not part of the problem.

While it seems logical to conclude that since device X connected to adapter Device P isn't working, and that Device Q connected to adapter Device P works, that device X isn't working. It's a premature conclusion IMO. The only true way to confirm that Device X does or does not work is by connecting "device X" to the actual interface it uses, not to a adapter of any description.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

coyote454

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 03:08:32 PM »
          Back in November I was trying to get help installing a new HD, as it wasn't being recognized by the computer.  I thought it was a defective HD and didn't think the SATA card was defective, as a DVD player was also connected to it without problems.

Long story short, the problem is now solved, and I wanted to thank those who gave their input.  Turns out the card was, in fact, defective.  When I replaced the SATA card and installed the new drivers, the computer recognized the HD immediately and the gremlins are back asleep within the confines of the computer.

Again, thanks to all who helped! ;D