Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot access program file, have 2 program files, one normal, one in My Document  (Read 3572 times)

gnewhart

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hello, I have Windows XP home ed, HP Pavilion Laptop. I had to reformat my drive due to problems. When I did this I made a Program File and put in under My Documents. It has the program files I used before I had to reformat my C drive.

Now, when I try and access my normal Program File it tells me C:Program Files is not accessible. Access denied. I tried going through user account and set up 2 new accounts with Admin. My current 2 accounts have program admin. But I still can not access the Program Files on the C drive. I want to transfer the Program Files from My Documents to the Program Files in the C drive.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru

Salmon Trout

Whether you take ownership or not, you cannot preserve installed programs by simply copying a Windows installation's "Program Files" folder tree somewhere else, then reinstalling Windows, (or "reformatting" as people often say) then copying "Program Files" back again. It won't work. You have to reinstall each software application from scratch.

Allan

• Mastermind
    I'm guessing he's talking about program data files - but I may be mistaken.

Salmon Trout

I'm guessing he's talking about program data files - but I may be mistaken.

He specifically mentions C:\Program Files.

gnewhart

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      I have tried taking ownership of Program files but when I right click on it I do not have a Security option or tab to click on.

I think I have most of my programs installed in the Program File folder but as I cannot access the folder I cannot tell this for sure. I cannot reload programs to the Program File as I am being denied access.

I was unable to log in as System Administrator (can not remember password and already tried leaving password blank and clicking OK but did not work) but the name I log in under is set up as administrator.

I see some of my programs on the C drive, not in the Program Folder.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Salmon Trout

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Quote from: Me, above, already
      You have to reinstall each software application from scratch.

Allan

• Mastermind
      Is it programs or data you are trying to access? If programs, then follow the advice above and reinstall your applications - you cannot copy them. If data, you need to disable simple file sharing (if XP pro) or boot to safe mode (if XP Home).