Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista won't like your monitor  (Read 9023 times)

2k dummy

Windows Vista won't like your monitor
« on: August 09, 2005, 04:58:55 AM »
Microsoft is gonna screw ya agin!

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/1603

And agin!

Microsoft has admitted that IE7 will not be W3C compliant. In other words, it will not be compliant with industry stantards for the internet.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows Vista won't like your monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 08:06:27 AM »
Nice find! I'm going to guess that Microsoft will soon be manufacturing monitors as well... lol  

[glb]Flame[/glb]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:06:34 AM by flame »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 08:31:11 AM »
Microsoft has admitted that IE7 will not be W3C compliant. In other words, it will not be compliant with industry stantards for the internet.

Who cares! Mozilla Firefox!  ;D

Say, Dummy, what kind of OS do you recommend?

The new DRM “features” of Windows Vista require that your monitor be compatible with something called Digital Content Protection. When you are trying to play a digital video file of any kind, Vista will check to see whether or not your monitor is HDCP compliant. If it is then you’re fine and everything plays just like you would expect.

So, if you own a legal copy, but an older monitor, you can not play certain files.. But if you own an illegal copy and the right monitor, you can play these files?!  ???
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:32:21 AM by Raptor »

2k dummy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 08:52:19 AM »
Say, Dummy, what kind of OS do you recommend?  

For power users: 2k, XP, or Linux
For ordinary everyday computer illiterates like me: 9x
I have 98, 98se, 2k, and linux. Don't use linux much. Not enough time to play with it.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 09:00:55 AM »
For ordinary everyday computer illiterates like me: 9x

Then I wonder what a power user is, in your eyes..  :-X

Where can I obtain a good copy of Linux? Happen to have a 466Mhz Celeron/64MB RAM and 6.4GB HDD set up where I can't find any drivers for (Packard bell) so I may as well reformat and experiment.

Does Linux work the same when it comes to drivers?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 09:01:42 AM by Raptor »

2k dummy

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 09:23:02 AM »
Packard Bell is a proprietary machine so I don't know what will work on it and what won't. If it has a CD-rom, you can get Knoppix as an ISO image and burn to a CD. You can then boot from the CD and play around without actually installing on the HD. Knoppix will run from the CD and you can use it to access the HD, printer, etc. If you like the way it works you can then go for something a little higher up the latter. There will be a pretty good learning curve.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 11:01:53 AM »
I will look into Knoppix, then. Are there different versions or will simply typing Knoppix into http://www.google.com work?