Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Decrapifier vs Slim Computer  (Read 9298 times)

02bin3

Decrapifier vs Slim Computer
« on: December 26, 2010, 08:07:35 AM »
We just gave our son an Acer laptop for Christmas and would like to know which of the "clean-up" programs works the best for getting rid of all the pre-loaded garbage on new computers.  Decrapifier or Slim Computer.  Can I download these and other malware programs to a flash drive on my computer and install them on his new computer before loading up Norton Antivirus?  I would just as soon install as many security and malware programs as possible before getting on line.  Any, and all other suggestions are more than welcome.  Thank you.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Decrapifier vs Slim Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
Windows firewall will be running, so don't worry so much about installing security and malware programs before going online.  By the way, paying for Norton Antivirus should be viewed as an option, not a requirement.  Of course, the computer should have an antivirus program installed but several good free antivirus programs are available.  I'll mention avast! Antivirus, Avira AntiVir Personal, and Microsoft Security Essentials

Regarding malware (other than viruses) protection, SuperAnti-Spyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware are two highly rated programs.

Regarding Decrapifier or Slim Computer, I'm not familiar with Slim Computer but I have used Decrapifier and have a favorable impression.  It can be helpful in identifying programs to consider removing.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
I would just as soon install as many security and malware programs as possible before getting on line.

I am not sure from the original post if the topic starter thinks that it is a good idea to install as many anti-virus applications as possible. It is not. One is all you should install.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
I'm not a fan of ANY "decrapifier". You can go to Programs & Features and uninstall anything you like. OR - if you are computer savvy - you can just format and start from scratch (which is what I always do with a new system) and install only what you like.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
I am not sure from the original post if the topic starter thinks that it is a good idea to install as many anti-virus applications as possible. It is not. One is all you should install.
Right, one anti-virus application and then perhaps one or two anti-spyware programs.

You can go to Programs & Features and uninstall anything you like.
True, but, to be clear on one point, The PC Decrapifier does not automatically remove apps.  It lists them and lets the user select which ones to uninstall.  Info: http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/features

OR - if you are computer savvy - you can just format and start from scratch (which is what I always do with a new system) and install only what you like.
Well, with my Compaq Presario Notebook PC, the recovery disc does not give me any choice about what gets installed.  It installs everything that was on the computer when new and I'd have to go through the process of removing unwanted apps again.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 09:23:38 AM »
Well, with my Compaq Presario Notebook PC, the recovery disc does not give me any choice about what gets installed.  It installs everything that was on the computer when new and I'd have to go through the process of removing unwanted apps again.
Yes, agreed. You do need an original OS disk to do as I suggested and not everyone has one.

02bin3

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »
Thank you, Allan.  I'm not really computer savvy that is why I would rely on programs like Decrapifier & Slim Computer.  I have no idea what is necessary and what is not on a new computer.  When I look at my own Windows Task Manager and see 66 processes running I haven't a clue as to which ones can be be shut down and still have my computer run efficiently.  For instance, I run Firefox, yet on the Task Manager I can see that explorer.exe is running and using 11,028 K of Memory and Firefox is using 143,452 K +/-.  Have no idea why this is, so I just leave it alone and assume that explorer.exe is necessary, too.  This new computer did not come with any disks to reinstall which means that I will have to make some sort of recovery disks and that is always a mystery to me as to how they are supposed to work should a problem arise and they are needed.  I assume I should make the recovery disks after I run the cleanup software in order to avoid having the garbage installed again?  Thank you, you are all so helpful.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 09:29:23 AM »
Let me just ask something. Is there any problem with your system as is?

Oh, and one thing you can do easily is download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Uncheck any startup items you don't need. There's never a reason to uninstall anything - just keep them from running.

02bin3

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 09:43:49 AM »
No, my programs seem to run fine, although it takes a lot longer to download either attachments or new programs on line than what hughesnet.net states in their advertising for their least expensive service.  I don't know if the fact that it goes through a Linksys router has anything to do with download speed or not.  I only have the router for times when someone visits and needs internet service or for the rare times I use my laptop.  Thank you for the tip on Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel link.  Just today, though, I did run into a problem with youtube.  No matter what video I wanted to view today, the video would run for 4-8 seconds and freeze up as if it were buffering, but then it would not restart no matter how long I waited.  This has never happened before.  I don't know if the problem is on their end or mine?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
Re downloads - using a router should not effect anything. Nor would installed apps. Internet speed depends mostly on your ISP and the fact that you are not getting "advertised" speeds is absolutely NOT unusual.

Re Youtube - try a different browser just as a test (if you're using IE, try Firefox).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
Thank you, Allan.  I'm not really computer savvy that is why I would rely on programs like Decrapifier & Slim Computer.  I have no idea what is necessary and what is not on a new computer.  When I look at my own Windows Task Manager and see 66 processes running I haven't a clue as to which ones can be be shut down and still have my computer run efficiently.  For instance, I run Firefox, yet on the Task Manager I can see that explorer.exe is running and using 11,028 K of Memory and Firefox is using 143,452 K +/-.  Have no idea why this is, so I just leave it alone and assume that explorer.exe is necessary, too.  This new computer did not come with any disks to reinstall which means that I will have to make some sort of recovery disks and that is always a mystery to me as to how they are supposed to work should a problem arise and they are needed.  I assume I should make the recovery disks after I run the cleanup software in order to avoid having the garbage installed again?  Thank you, you are all so helpful.

Explorer.exe is for your taskbar and any open explorer (folder) windows, as well as the desktop.

Making the recovery disks before or after won't make a difference. They always restore the computer to a factory image.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.