Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 2918 times)

Chilimon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Headphones
    « on: December 26, 2010, 04:27:57 PM »
    I received a set of smaller headphones for Christmas with the two jack plugs, one for the headphones, the other for the microphone attached to the headphones. I plug them into the proper connection on my laptop and nothing, the sound does not transfer. Here is the dilema, I have a set of headphones with a USB plug and they work fine, as soon as I plug these in, it switches the sound over immediately. I tried another set of headphones with the jack style and they do not work either. I tried everything I know even by going into Control Panel>Sounds and switching to Headphones, Apply and Save, restarting the computer after changes, nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what the problem may be ?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Headphones
    « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »
    Do these sets of headphones you've tried have their own volume control or on/off switch?  Are you sure you did not plug the two plugs (mic and headphone) into the wrong jack/port?  Your computer should have a tiny symbol for mic and headphone beside those plug-in jacks, or some way of indicating which jack is for which plug.

Can you try the headphones on another computer to confirm that they work?

Chilimon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
      Do these sets of headphones you've tried have their own volume control or on/off switch?  Are you sure you did not plug the two plugs (mic and headphone) into the wrong jack/port?  Your computer should have a tiny symbol for mic and headphone beside those plug-in jacks, or some way of indicating which jack is for which plug.

Can you try the headphones on another computer to confirm that they work?

I tried 2 other computers, all computers running WIN XP. They are plugged into the correct ports and I even tried switching ports in case the manufacturer got the wires and plugs mixed up (very rare). Neither set of headphones have an on/off switch or volume control on them. Both sets of headphones are from a different manufacturer.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
      What brand and model is your laptop?  Your OS?

Chilimon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »
        What brand and model is your laptop?  Your OS?

Dell Inspiron E1505 running WIN XP

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »

Chilimon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 06:46:58 PM »
          Media Control buttons on front:
          http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/om/about.htm#wp1107948

Thanks anyway but that's already been tried. I'm out of ideas and was hoping this would be the place to get the right answer.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »
          Something has turned Media Control buttons off, either Muted or Turned Volume Down.  They should have priority over software.

You said "...as soon as I plug these in, it switches the sound over immediately..."

Switches the sound over from what?

Chilimon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »
            Something has turned Media Control buttons off, either Muted or Turned Volume Down.  They should have priority over software.

You said "...as soon as I plug these in, it switches the sound over immediately..."

Switches the sound over from what?

As soon as I plug my USB headphones in, the sound automatically switches from the speakers that are built into the laptop to my headphones.  If I use the jack type headphones, with the sound turned on and the volume up, the sound still goes through the speakers on the laptop no matter which setting I use in Control Panel>Sounds. I went into Sounds, clicked the Volume Tab, then clicked Advanced under Speaker Settings, and switched to Stereo Headphones, clicked Apply, then OK and still no difference.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 07:29:16 PM »
            The Media control buttons simply send specific Extended scan codes to the software, same as a standard media keyboard. (They aren't hardware based- how would "next track" possibly be implemented in the hardware?) Volume Up/down might be but most laptops less then about 5 or 6 years have had exclusively software control for the volume, even if it is a dial.

Chilimon: I assume you've tried Both of the Phono plugs on the right side (above the card reader I believe)?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Chilimon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »
              Chilimon: I assume you've tried Both of the Phono plugs on the right side (above the card reader I believe)?

Yes I have