Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Re: Network problem  (Read 2709 times)

Raptor

Re: Network problem
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:27:05 AM »
From the adresses you are using, I assume you are connected to the Internet through a router.

Can you still access the Internet?
Can you still access the Router with both computers?

If not, you may need to do the following:

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Control Panel
4. Network Connections
5. Right click on the Network card(s) listed that are used for connecting to the Router
6. Choose repair.
-- Translation may be wrong. It could say recover as well.

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »
I have nearly the exact same problem with three of my machines. two of my win98se machines couldn't access my XP machine. This also started up just a few days ago (the 11th) out of the blue with no real explanation. And I CAN connect to the internet with all the machines. (its so similar its spooky, virus? I did a scan just lastnight and it didn't find anything but hey who knows)

A work-around I found that if you change your workgroup on all machines to something else (in my case from "HOME" to "WORKGROUP") that everything settles down. Though I do have the problem of the old computers/workgroup not disapearing >:P . I currently have dead links to my XP machine that I dont know how to get rid of. If somebody could help me figure out how to delete my old workgroup I'd be much abliged!

UPDATE:
Well the workaround seems to have just killed itself >:|. Just a minute ago I COULD access my XP machine but now I can't. The error Message I get is slightly differant than yours (probably just because it's windows 98SE instead of XP) I get "\\(name) Is not accessable, the device does not exist on the network"

....GRRRRR!!!! Now I can access it again! It changes! And the "HOME" workgroup is empty now that I finished moving all the computers over to the new network. but the workgroup "HOME" it's still listed under the workgroups (maybe a restart will fix it). Something definatly freaky is going on here.

Yup, restart fixed the "HOME" being listed but access to my XP is still intermitant
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 12:32:22 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 02:01:51 PM »
Be certain that there are no IP adress conflicts.

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 02:44:45 PM »
Ok, how do I do that? I know there are a lot of websites that will tell you your IP, but they just give the IP of my router. I tryed winipcfg but it displayed my IP as 0.0.0.0 and my subnet mask as 0.0.0.0 this cant be right can it?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:53:04 PM »
I am not too keen on networking, but you would have to assign each computer a subnetmask (255.255.255.0) and an IP Adress ranging from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254. Your router should automatically do this if DHCP is enabled.

How are your computers connected to eachother?

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 02:54:42 PM »
What  router netgear?? did you make a net install disk  from the wizard??  for win net working......most are on mshome?? did you allow the sever whichever one it is to share folders etc.

Which one is the server??

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 05:20:25 PM »
Ok, I have 6 machines, three of them are connected to a hub which is then connected to the router. The other three are connected directally to the router (it's a 4 port router wich is why its set up this way). The two machines that are having trouble connecting to the XP ARE both connected to the hub and not diretally to the router. However both can get on the internet and can browse the shared documents of every other machine (both those directally connected to the router and the ones that are connected indirectally through the hub) EXCEPT they can't browse the XP im having trouble with. BUT it works the other way, the XP can browse the two machines that can't browse it.

Out of the three computers connected to the hub two of them cannot connect to the XP but one of them can, all three of wich are running win 98se.

??? :o ???

lol confusing I know.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 05:21:41 PM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 05:55:48 PM »
Pake:

This Knowledge Base article may have the cure for what ails your network:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318030

Let us know if it doesn't, or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Doc

Redeyes_Gambit

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 09:13:55 AM »
Ok, im going to put my problem into another post since it's kinda gone from me offering help to me having... well... a problem...

Hope we can both have this fixed pake!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 09:14:17 AM by Redeyes_Gambit »

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 03:24:51 PM »
Do you still have a problem!