Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Pavilion will not boot "Stop c000021a (0xc0000001 0x0010034c)"  (Read 10526 times)

JimCulbert

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    HP Pavilion will not boot "Stop c000021a (0xc0000001 0x0010034c)".  I searched the forums and found two similar issues but they were at least able to boot windows.  I, unfortunately am not able to do that.  I have tried to reinstall windows but I still get the blue screen saying "Stop: c000021a (0xc0000001 0x0010034c)".  I've tried many option as far as Safe Mode, Recovery, restore, etc.  The most recent change was that I tried to install iTunes and plug in my new iPod Shuffle.  This was right before the problem started occurring.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am fairly "computer literate" and can follow directions perfectly if you need to step me through anything.  Thanks in advance!!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: HP Pavilion will not boot "Stop c000021a (0xc0000001 0x0010034c)"
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
    1) We need the entire blue screen error.
    2) Do I understand that you can reinstall and get into Windows but then at some point you'll get the error? If so, please do that and then do the following after the blue screen error:
    Download BlueScreenView:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
    when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
    Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
    Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

JimCulbert

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
      Thank you for your prompt reply.  This is the first time I've used this forum and wasn't expecting such a quick return so I must apologize for my delayed response.  Here is as much information as I have so far:

Currently, when I attempt to boot the computer I automatically enter Windows Error Recovery.  I am given two options.

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
      Start Windows Normally

When I choose "Launch Startup Repair" I receive the black"Windows is loading files" notification at the bottom and shortly after I encounter the normal animated 'Microsoft Corporation' loading bar as if windows is about to successfully boot.  Roughly 3-5 seconds later I encounter the Blue Screen and this is what it displays:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
      The initial session process or system process terminated with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010034c).  The System has been shut down.

- If I choose "Start windows normally" the process is the same up until the blue screen (which lasts only a second) and is displaying something about a crash dump.  The screen disappears so fast that I am unable to see the entire message. 

You mentioned downloading the BlueScreenView program.  I am unable to enter into widows so I'm not sure if I will be able to utilize the program properly.  If there is an option of creating a bootable disc from another computer please let me know as I do have a functioning laptop. 

I have also attempted to reinstall windows vista using my original OS disc.  I recieve the black and white "windows is loading files" notification then the animated logo, then the blue screen.  Again it displays this message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
      The initial session process or system process terminated with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010034c).  The System has been shut down.

If you need any additional information please let me know and thank you again for you assistance. 

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
      Let's try this. Reboot. As soon as the system starts to boot begin tapping the F8 (function) key. This should take you to the advanced boot option screen. At that screen choose "Disable Restart on Error" (the exact wording may be different - I'm not at a Windows 7 system at the moment). Next time the blue screen error appears it should stay up. If it does, please post the entire contents.

Also, when you say you try to reinstall Windows are you formatting first?

And last, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

JimCulbert

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:11:40 AM »
        Again I must apologize for not responding more quickly.  I can't seem to get free time to dedicate to this issue so I'm going to loose a little sleep tonight in the name of resolution. 

When I disabled 'automatic restart upon error' (or whatever the exact wording was) the computer jumped back into the Windows Vista Installation. (I had forgotten the disc was still in the drive)  This however ended poorly resulting in the same blue screen error I had posted earlier

(for thoroughness this was it "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
        The initial session process or system process terminated with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010034c).  The System has been shut down." 

Upon restart I was given a few options one of them being a "restore point" or "last known good configuration" option.  This resulted in windows telling me that it could not configure windows with my current hardware setup then displaying the message "The installation was not successful.  Changes made during the installation process are being undone.  Do not restart your computer at this time.  It then shut down on its own.  When I restarted I came to a new blue screen and the message was as follows:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The initial session process or system process terminated with a status of (0xc000001 0x00100658) The system has been shut down.

Thats were I've stopped.  I'm sure I could try some other options on my own but everything I try leads to a dead end.  Thank you for the help you've provided so far.  Please let me know if you need anymore information.  I will be available for the next 4-6 hours. Thanks again.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:56:33 AM »
        Well, since this is happening during installation the only suggestion I can make is to boot to the Vista disk, delete and recreate any partition(s), format, and then try to install again. Is this an original retail copy of Vista?

JimCulbert

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »
          This is the copy of vista that came with the computer I purchased from a friend so I assume its a "retail" copy.  I didn't purchase it separately if thats what you mean but its the only copy I have.  I was afraid you would say that I need to format and partition.  I have pictures on this hard drive that I can't really afford to loose as I have not made any backups (my fault).  I'm going to attempt to connect the drive to another working desktop that I have and somehow extract the pictures.  If you have any advice in that area please let me know.  Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »
          What does the Vista cd look like? Does it appear to be an original? If it's a copy, that may be the problem.