Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do I disable Windows Live Mail in Win7  (Read 16797 times)

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: how do I disable Windows Live Mail in Win7
    « Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
    do you recommend Firefox?  What if I update IE8? 
    People may forget what you say; people may forget what you do, but people will never forget how you made them feel!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 05:19:59 PM »
    Just found this

Go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs (tab)>Internet Programs>Set Programs>Set Program Access and computer Defaults>Custom>Choose a default email program> and select your email program there. Make sure "Enable access to this program" is checked.
    11 cheers for binary !

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
      I;m pretty sure I've done that before.  Problem is, Yahoo isn't on the list.  Windows Live Mail used to be, but think when  I uninstalled it, that it no longer shows up either.  Let me go check for sure. thanx
      People may forget what you say; people may forget what you do, but people will never forget how you made them feel!

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
        ok, the only choice I have there is to "use my current email program".  It won't let me uncheck it or give me any other choices.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »
        There is nothing wrong with the current email default program shown under Internet options, Programs whether yahoomail is shown or not. I have Microsoft Office Outlook as default but not getting any issues with my yahoo account on sending webpage or links. You mention you have made an account already previously. Could you try opening your account on a different computer to confirm the problem. Have you followed the link  with sending links/webpages?

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »
          thilnk I need to backtrack a little.  Before I uninstalled the Windows Live Mail (WLM), I was able to click on those "send page/link by email" and they would go to the WLM account.  But, when i would then try to send those pages or links from WLM, the popup would show my Yahoo log-in and ask for my PW.  The PW that I use every single day, and have for a year with Yahoo was rejected by WLM...have no idea why.  So, I ended up with lots of links and pages in my WLM account that I can't send or delete or anything because the PW won't work.  So, I figured if I just got rid of the WLM account that I could go back to  using my plain ole everyday Yahoo like I always have, i.e, being able to send pages/links by email.  BUT, ALAS AND ALACK, they're shaded grey and I can't use them now.  Also, the "instructions that any 5 yr. old could understand" is getting stretched!  Not that I don't appreciate what everyone is attempting to do, but you really need to "keep it simple". 

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »

WLM and Yahoo are to different email clients. Of course your Yahoo password will not work for WLM, why should it??

You need your WLM password to log into WLM.
          11 cheers for binary !

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
          « Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
          Could you try opening your account on a different computer to confirm the problem.
          OR Remove Yahoo on your Control panel and download and reinstall it again.

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 06:08:57 PM »
            I know that WLM and Yahoo are totally different accounts.  But when you set up the WLM account, it asks for the email program you want to use with it.  So, when I sent a link/page by email, it would go to WLM, then when I try to send it, the Yahoo pop-up screen comes up (with my Yahoo user id already filled in), and asks for my PW.  And my PW doesn't work.  I pretty much use the same PW for everything, so even if it were asking for my WLM PW, it would be the same.  But it's not...it's asking for Yahoo.

And no, I don't have another computer I could use.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »

You've linked WLM with Yahoo, then uninstalled WLM.

I think there is your problem.

Install WLM again then change your defualt email to yahoo!
            11 cheers for binary !

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
              and how would I reinstall WLM?  I was just looking for that option when I was notified of this latest post.

reddevilggg

Expert

11 cheers for binary !

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 06:42:32 PM »
                ok, reddevil, it's downloading.  once it's done, then what do I do?  Oh, I only wanted the mail option of Windows Live essentials (that was the only part I uninstalled), but I think it's downloading the whole shabang.  It's 38% done, so guess it'll be awhile.  I can't believe I'd even think about complaining about speed.  Until I got the new laptop, I was using dial-up!  We're out in the country and don't have cable and all the other options were too expensive.  This Verizon is a lot better than what I had, but still not the speed you get in "the City".

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »

Just try your IE8 'send link' and see if it works.

I was the same a few years ago, I bought a new computer and started  'exploring' the old one, then my new one had a 'hiccup' and i had to use my old one again............boy it was slow.
                11 cheers for binary !