Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do I disable Windows Live Mail in Win7  (Read 16861 times)

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: how do I disable Windows Live Mail in Win7
    « Reply #30 on: January 09, 2011, 06:55:19 PM »
    nope, the IE send link does not work...shaded and I can highlight
    People may forget what you say; people may forget what you do, but people will never forget how you made them feel!

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »
      make that can't highlight!

download is finished, but needs me to restart.  be gone a few minutes.  maybe we can finish tomorrow? 
      People may forget what you say; people may forget what you do, but people will never forget how you made them feel!

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2011, 07:01:59 PM »

Yep, past my bedtime, hopefully somebody might spot this post, whose had a similar problem and shed some light.
      11 cheers for binary !

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »
        well, I got it reinstalled, but it automatically reinstalled the Yahoo account that I'd had before.  so, I did find a place to delete that account ~ it's gone.  But I still can't use the send page/link, either from the file button or the page button.  I'll keep monkeying around with it until someone comes up with a solution.  thanks everyone.

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »

so, I did find a place to delete that account ~ it's gone.

You've reinstalled WLM and uninstalled Yahoo??
        11 cheers for binary !

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »
          Yes, WLM is reinstalled and the Yahoo account that was originally associated with it is deleted.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 08:50:07 AM »
          You've linked WLM with Yahoo, then uninstalled WLM.

I think there is your problem.

Install WLM again then change your defualt email to yahoo!
          I believe you're leading him down the wrong path.  We need to get some facts straight here.  The free Yahoo! Mail account is not a POP-enabled account; it is not designed to work with POP email clients.  The paid Yahoo! Mail account, on the other hand, is designed to work with POP email clients. 

By email client, I mean any software designed mainly for email, such as Outlook Express (came with Internet Explorer up through version, so was on all Win XP and previous versions of Windows), Windows Mail (comes with Windows Vista), Microsoft Outlook (usually bundled with Microsoft Office), and some non-Microsoft programs such as Thunderbird, from Mozilla.   

Now, some uses of the free Yahoo! Mail account were able to get it working with Outlook Express by using a third-party add-on called YPOPS! but I don't recommend delving into that; it's not, in my view, a very reliable option and it's too complicated to setup for less technically oriented users.  Besides, I believe the YPOPS add-on will not, or is very unlikely to, work with WLM.

To reiterate, the free Yahoo! Mail account does not, as designed by Yahoo!, work with any POP email client.  So, when khill75462 says it was using his Yahoo! Mail account with Outlook Express, we need to know how that was setup since, again, the free Yahoo! Mail account does not, as designed by Yahoo!, work with any POP email client.

khill75462, if you want an email account that really works with WLM, then create a gmail account or use an account provided by your ISP (Internet Service Provide).  Your ISP most likely provides POP-capable email accounts to all customers. 

By the way, setting up a POP email account is WLM is easier than it was with Outlook Express.  For example, if you create a POP-capable account by initially creating a username and password via a visit to a website, you can open WLM, enter your username and password, and WLM will search for other data it needs and complete the setup for you.

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 11:24:26 AM »
            well, I do have a Gmail account and now have it set up with WLM.  But, I still wish that the "send link/page by email" would let me use it with my Yahoo (primary account).  That's the one I keep my calendar, all contacts, etc. in.  The way it is now, if I want to send a link or page, it automatically takes me to WLM, then sends through Gmail.  If I don't have my contact list right in front of me with email addresses, etc., and don't know the email by heart, that's a problem since it doesn't auto-complete after a few letters. 

But, I feel I've taken enough of everyone's time with this...and not sure that there is a way to do what I'm trying to do.  Maybe when IE9 is out of Beta I can switch and it will restore that function.  Thanks all!

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
            Maybe when IE9 is out of Beta I can switch and it will restore that function.  Thanks all!
            That's not going to happen.  Again, IE is a web browser, not an email client.  When you click on an email link, Windows naturally looks for an email client, i.e. WLM in this case, not a web browser. 

I suggest this: How to Import Your Yahoo! Mail Messages and Contacts Into Gmail, and make a full transition to gmail if you want to solve the Yahoo! Mail problem.

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
              I really do appreciate all the time & effort.  I don't know whether I'm not explaining myself well or not (probably).  I have no problem using my Yahoo mail account.  The problem I have is not being able to use the "send link/send page" function.  I cannot use this with any mail program ~Yahoo, Gmail, WLM.  It's greyed out and will not hilite when I click on it.  I don't know for sure what caused it to quit working, but suspect it had something to do with trying to set up the WLM account.  Sorry to be so much trouble.

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
                I reallize now that I said earlier that the link I'm trying to use went to WLM. then to Gmail.  Well,  I was wrong.  Trying to click on the "send page by email" or "send link by emai" does absolutely nothing because it won't hilite. 

khill75462

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
                  Well, for whatever reason, it's now corrected itself and working as it should.  I really do appreciate everyone trying to help with this.  Thanks again. 

reddevilggg

Expert

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »

Glad its OK
                  11 cheers for binary !