Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to reinstall windows xp  (Read 2876 times)

lukeoluke

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Unable to reinstall windows xp
    « on: January 16, 2011, 06:41:20 AM »
    Hi everyone, I currently have a 5 year old computer that was severely attacked by a virus/es. A few common problems include loss of usb port functionality, all windows help options unavailable for use, windows security programs (firewall etc) turned off without allowance to turn back on, all windows updates would not install, and overall bad performance.
    I planned to reinstall windows xp to format the pc and start fresh however upon inserting the xp os disc, i was given an error message stating that the disc is an earlier version of the current os installed (It's not unless you count the pc having windows updates via internet as a whole new os). Underneath the message it specifies that if you wish to continue the installation it would remove all current data due to the earlier os. There are three buttons available to decide your answer, continue anyway, cancel and help. the continue option is greyed out and unresponsive to me clicking it, cancel exits the program, and help doesn't work as the help function was damaged (see above virus description).

The disc I'm using is the same as the one used to install it and all legally bought, is there a way to format your hard drive and hopefully remove my computer problems without the xp disc?

In short, what is the best way to format and install xp on my pc.

Thankyou

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Unable to reinstall windows xp
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:45:14 AM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

lukeoluke

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:55:37 AM »
      So reading that tutorial, I'm essentially changing BIOS setting to install from cd or if that doesn't work, floppy disk?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 06:56:28 AM »
      CD...yepper...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "